This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I have nothing against being in a relationship, but I think that society has this image of college students finding the love of their life by the time they graduate. I feel that a lot of this is due to the media we consume. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I thought it’d be fun to share some horror movies that actually show why being in a relationship isn’t all that great. 

Gone Girl

*TW/CW: This movie contains mentions of sexual assault 

Honestly, this psychological thriller is the reason why I wanted to create this list. I think that everyone knows the basic plot of this movie: a seemingly happy couple, Nick and Amy, are living a quaint life until Amy goes missing. Secrets are uncovered and Nick is the most likely suspect. It shows just how little you truly know your partner and what happens when you don’t appreciate your partner. If this movie hasn’t been spoiled for you then I won’t do it for you, but I do highly recommend you check it out. And if you’ve already watched it I recommend reading the book or watching other adaptations of this author’s work.

Get Out

This very popular movie is another one that shows you can’t ever really know your partner. I know that the movie isn’t about relationships, but race; however, I still thought it was a good fit for this list. If you’re unaware, the film starts off when a couple, Chris and Rose, go to visit her (rich white) family. Everything is not as it seems, and Chris soon finds out the truth about Rose and her twisted family. 

Misery

Everyone always talks about how love and hate are two sides of the same coin, but not many talk about how obsession is one step further than love and that’s exactly what this movie shows. After novelist Paul is in a car accident, he’s rescued by Annie, his self-proclaimed biggest fan, who brings him to a remote cabin to recover and finish writing his latest book. Things take a turn for the worse when Annie discovers some information about Paul’s book that she dislikes. 

Midsommar

*TW/CW: This movie contains depictions of depression and suicide 

Instead of breaking up, Dani and Christian, along with friends, visit one of their hometowns in rural Sweden for the midsummer festival. They soon realize that their idyllic vacation isn’t paradise and they have to compete to survive. One of the overarching themes of the movie is the relationship between Dani and Christian and it’s ultimately the way that Christian treats Dani that leads him to his fate.  

Ready or Not

This movie is so fun. It doesn’t take itself too seriously but at the same time it subverts some classic horror tropes. On the night of Grace’s marriage to the man of her dreams, it’s part of his family tradition to play a game. However, after choosing the game ‘hide and seek,’ the members of her new family (including her now husband) all try to kill her while she has to hide until dawn. One trope that this movie does not stray from is once your life’s on the line, you don’t care about true love, only about surviving. Fair warning: this movie is on the gory side.

Cabin in the Woods

I know by now almost everyone’s tired of the ‘college kids go to the woods and something bad happens’ trope, but this one is so well done and unique. It’s about a group of college friends who go to one of their cousin’s cabins in the woods. While there, they unleash a curse and zombies begin to attack them, but that’s not the only strange thing going on. The two couples in the movie show why being in a relationship during a horror movie is bad for your survival. The first couple gets attacked when they sneak off to have some ~alone time~ , another common trope in horror movies. The male of the second couple dies and while the girl is mourning him, she fails to realize a zombie is near. 

Scream

This is another classic horror movie. After getting a strange phone call, students from the same high school are attacked and killed by a masked killer. As some high schoolers do, the students are not all careful and decide to throw a party after the mandated curfew. Let’s just say that the boyfriends in this movie are nowhere near supportive of or caring towards their girlfriends and friends who were recently attacked. 

If you’re feeling bad about being alone this cuffing season, just know that you have a higher chance of surviving a horror movie than couples do. Happy watching!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.