stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Healthy Living Tips That Are Good For You And The Environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

There are two things that most people invariably try to do: take care of the environment and live a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, these efforts often fall flat in the face of our busy day to day lives which are often ruled by convenience. However, many of the things that you can do to take care of the environment are actually very good for you as well! Here are a few quick tips to take care of both the Earth and yourself at the same time:

1. Take the stairs instead of the elevator

I know the last thing anybody wants to do after a long day is march up the stairs to their room, but opting to skip the elevator is a great way to get some exercise while also saving energy. Trust me, your butt will thank you!

2. Walk or bike instead of driving

Choosing to walk or bike around campus or to a nearby location is more than just a great way to get exercise — it also reduces carbon dioxide emissions, which are a leading cause of air pollution and climate change, and saves you money if you’re the one paying for gas.

3. Eat unprocessed foods

When choosing food in the dining halls it’s easy to reach for a bag of chips, that bottle of soda, or a sugary cookie. Instead, try to look for food that is as close to its natural state as possible, meaning lots of fruits and vegetables, but also grains like brown rice and quinoa and lean proteins like chicken and fish. They may not be calling to you like those spicy fries are, but these natural foods contain more vitamins and minerals, can help you maintain a healthy weight, boost your mood, and even give you healthier skin and nails. Also, unprocessed foods tend to have less packaging and can often be composted, meaning less waste ends up in landfills.

4. Eat organic foods

This may be difficult when living on campus, but when you can, try to reach for organic and sustainably sourced foods. Although research is limited, organic foods are have fewer potentially dangerous chemicals found in pesticides, and are even believed to be more nutritious. In addition, less pesticides mean less dangerous chemicals contaminating our air, water, and wildlife.

5. Use a reusable water bottle instead of plastic ones

Plastic water bottles take a toll on our natural resources as they require a great amount of oil to produce. While recycling seems commonplace, still only 20% of plastic water bottles are recycled, meaning many end up in landfills or as pollution. Instead, go for a reusable water bottle such as a Klean Kanteen or Nalgene. Not only is using a reusable water bottle better for the environment and a money saver, it also doesn’t contain any of the harmful chemicals in plastic.

6. Keep small plants in your room

Keeping a small plant in your room is a great way to clean the air, keep away illness, and even make you more efficient. Plus, the great air purifying and carbon dioxide reducing qualities of plants are pretty good for our Earth as well. Special shout out to those of you who still have your first year plants!

7. Turn off your cell phone

I know Instagram and Facebook are amazing, but turning off your phone and putting it away can be pretty great as well! Cell phone use decreases productivity, has been linked to reduced happiness, and is associated with low self-esteem. Also, increasingly scientific studies are showing that cell phone and wireless radiation may be harmful, so it’s a good idea to turn your phone off or put it on airplane mode when not in use, especially when sleeping. Plus, turning off your phone will save battery, meaning it needs to be charged less frequently, leading to reduced energy use. That’s another win for the environment!

There are so many great ways to stay healthy and to take care of our planet. Try to make these small changes in your daily life and any others you can think of too. At the end of the day it’s the small changes that make a big difference to your body and to the world. For more on sustainable living see this article on one of our writer’s zero waste journey

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Hallie Lorde

Mt Holyoke

I am a first year at Mount Holyoke College interested in fashion, politics, and environmental issues.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.