This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Some of the songs on this list have gone down in history for breaking records, challenging gender norms, and reshaping the way we listen to music. Keep reading if you want to learn five songs that you should listen to at least once in your lifetime.

1. “Dynamite” by BTS

BTS is taking the world by storm. With the release of their first English single “Dynamite,” they broke the record for being the music video by a Korean artist to reach 700 million views on YouTube the fastest. If you’re into disco-pop you are sure to love this song. But be warned: if you listen to this song you might not be able to get the catchy chorus and dance moves out of your head. 

2. “WAP” by Cardi B feat. Megan Thee Stallion

Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion are challenging the norms surrounding women in the rap game. With the explicit lyrics of “WAP” that promote freely expressing sexuality and sexual health, Cardi B and Megan are liberating women by showing that they too should be able to talk about their sexuality without shame. 

3. “Phobia” by Stray Kids 

Han opens up with his struggles with social anxiety in “Phobia.” Han’s struggles with social anxiety shows others who have similar experiences to him that they are not alone and he destigmatizes some of the stereotypes surrounding mental health by bringing awareness to the topic. 

4. “Weak” by Flo Milli 

“Weak” is a player anthem about Flo Milli wanting a man with money but not one of the boring guys she is used to that has been a nuisance to her. This song inspires people to know their worth and never settle for less than they deserve. 

5. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana 

“Smells Like Teen Spirit” put Nirvana’s name on the map by being their first song to hit number one on the Modern Rock Tracks chart. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” marked a turning point for the grunge era by reshaping how we think about rock music. 

I hope this list gave you inspiration for some songs that you should add to your playlist.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Hi everyone my name is Sophia Erivbieta. I am a freshman at Mount Holyoke and I go by the she/her pronouns. I plan on majoring in philosophy and psychology.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.