5 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books By Black Female Authors I Want To Read This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

It’s no secret that people of color in all industries are underrepresented, and that’s also the case in the publishing industry, especially in the fantasy genre. There are so many talented authors that don’t get the recognition they rightfully deserve. Last year I made the conscious decision to read more ‘own voices’ stories, meaning books written by a minority author about their own culture and experiences rather than someone from outside of that group writing about them. This allows for more authentic stories that really capture the nuances of what it means to be a part of that group. While the book community as a whole has taken great strides to better elevate authors of color, the fantasy genre isn’t as far along as other genres. Below I’ve compiled five books by Black female authors that I will hopefully read this year.

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemison

This is probably the most popular book on this list at the moment. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the storytelling, worldbuilding, and characters. This trilogy is categorized as both sci-fi and fantasy, and I know a lot of fans of the series say it’s better to go into it without knowing too much. However, the basic storyline is after the murder of Essum’s family, where her daughter is kidnapped, she is willing to do anything to get her back all while she struggles in a world where resources are being fought over by everyone. 

Courtesy of Clay Banks

The Deep by Rivers Solomon 

This is a novella, not a book, but the concept is so interesting to me. It’s about the descendants of African slaves who were thrown overboard during the voyage to America. These people have turned into mermaids who store the memories of their tragic past in one person. Because only one person holds these memories, the others live an idyllic life free from the traumatic memories of their ancestors. This incredibly unique story really captured my attention the moment I heard about it, and I’ve heard great things about it. 

Kindred by Octavia Butler

Octavia Butler is a giant in Black American literature, as this book is the first sci-fi book written by a Black woman. I know some people that had to read it for school, but I never had to, and I kind of wish I did. This story follows Dana, who is transported back in time to antebellum Maryland where she has to deal with the hopelessness of slavery while leaning on her ancestors to survive. This book delves deep into race relations in the U.S., and while it was written in 1979 it is still relevant today.

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor 

Binti is another novella, this time a series about Binti, the first of her people to be offered a place at the best university in the galaxy. However, if she decides to go she is giving up her place in her family to be with strangers in space, and that isn’t even the end of her problems. An alien race is angered by the university and they seem to be on the brink of war with each other. To survive, Binti must first make it to the university alive. This action-packed series about space college seems so interesting to me; I wish I could go to college in space! 

Books in Black Wooden Book Shelf
Pixaby/Pexels

Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson

Living on a Caribbean colonized planet, Tan-Tan loves dressing up as the Robber Queen during Carnival. However, one year Tan-Tan and her father are thrown into the harsh world of New Half-Way Tree where monsters from folklore are real. She must become the Robber Queen in order to save herself and her father, as no one else’s power is stronger than the Robber Queen. I’ve heard amazing things about the writing style and characters of this book. I also haven’t read many books based on Caribbean folklore so I’m more than ready to check it out. 

I hope you found at least one book that interests you, or that this invites you to read more authors of color. Happy reading! 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.