Having survived my first year at Mount Holyoke, I can offer the new firsties some advice that they probably haven’t heard yet!
1. Don’t wear your lanyard with your onecard around you neck. This unfortunately immediately labels you as a first year to the rest of campus. Invest in a little Vera Bradley pouch or put it in your backpack.
2. Don’t be afraid to assert your opinions, speak up in class or befriend upperclasswomen. As a first year I felt there was a divide between first years and the rest of the women here, and I don’t want the new firsties to feel that way! We here at MHC are an inclusive community, and will welcome you, not belittle you!
3. Don’t think that the people you met in Orientation are your only group of friends. While you may well be friends with your orientation group at your time here at Mount Holyoke, recognize that there are literally hundreds of women who are interested in getting to know you, your interests and your passions. Give everybody a chance!
4. Get your gym credits done now. No one wants to take badmiton their senior year.
5. Don’t overdo the partying. While you’re free to make your own choices in college, make smart ones. Try to acheive a good balance of school, work, fun and extra curriculars. Partying can be a part of that if you so choose, but make sure that you include other elements into your college experience!
AND REMEMBER: Her Campus is your go-to source of information for upcoming events, fun articles and advice!