5 Movies Being Released This December That You Have To Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

2018 is around the corner and what better way to end this year than with a series of movies that you’ve been waiting forever to premiere. Here’s a list of movies to look forward to this December. Movie night and chill, anyone?

1. The Disaster Artist

Click to check out the trailer.

Release date – 1st December 2017

Yes, you got that right, your favorite Franco brothers are in a movie together and it’s also directed by James Franco! It’s a true story based on the making of Tommy Wiseau’s film ‘The Room’. The casting is as close to perfect as one could imagine, with James Franco in the lead playing Tommy Wiseau – the director, writer, producer, and lead actor portraying Johnny in ‘The Room’ – along with Dave Franco playing Greg Sestero – the line producer and actor portraying Mark in ‘The Room’. The cast also includes Seth Rogen playing Sandy Schklair and Alison Brie in the role of Greg Sestero’s girlfriend. Honestly, what could go wrong?

2. Star Wars – The Last Jedi

Click here to check out the trailer.

Release date – 15th December 2017

For all you Star Wars fanatics, the time is finally here. A new chapter of the Star Wars saga is on its way and has already stirred up a frenzy, not just on our planet, but also in a galaxy far, far away where Rey comes face to face with everyone’s favorite Jedi – Luke Skywalker. With the trailer featuring Supreme Leader Snoke and Kylo Ren, all we can hope is for the Jedi to resurface and bring an end to the ‘First Order’ as well as for Ren to receive the same fate granddaddy Vader did. This would also be the last film to feature the late Carrie Fisher who reprised her role as Princess Leia. And for those of you who haven’t yet acquainted yourself to the sensational world of Star Wars, stop wasting time and start binging!

3. Pitch Perfect 3

Click to check out the trailer.

Release date – 22nd December 2017

Who said graduation would break the Bellas apart? Having previously won the world championship, the Bellas are now moving on with their lives and starting their careers beyond college, but not before they’re reunited once again. They come together for yet another singing competition at a USO tour in Europe, where they face off a group who sing with instruments. The film includes Ruby Rose playing Calamity, who is part of the group opposing the Bellas. Which side would you pick with Anna Kendrick and Ruby Rose competing on stage?

4. Wonder Wheel

Click to check out the trailer.

Release date – 1st December 2017

Set in the 1950’s on Coney Island, the movie focuses on the lives of four characters whose worlds are intertwined in the form of a drama. The film goes on a journey filled with love, violence, pain, mystery, and betrayal in the lives of Ginny (Kate Winslet) and her husband Humpty (Jim Belushi) and their unraveling relationship, along with Mickey (Justin Timberlake) whom Ginny begins to fall for. The story also involves Carolina (Juno Temple), Humpty’s daughter who, after marrying a gangster, is stuck in a sticky situation. The trailer leaves you in suspense with all of the different possible scenarios that could potentially ruin the lives of the characters, making you eagerly wait for its release.

5. The Greatest Showman

Click here to check out the trailer.

Release date – 20th December 2017

The Greatest Showman is a musical which commemorates the birth of show business and the wonder it entails. It revolves around P.T. Barnum (Hugh Jackman) who is the visionary behind the idea of show business. After getting fired from his job, he comes up with a circus act which gains monumental success. Along with Hugh Jackman, the lead cast includes Rebecca Ferguson, Zac Efron, Jenny Lind, and Zendaya, who all draw the audience into the gloriousness of the show.

This December, head over to Tower Theaters because how better to procrastinate during finals week than to watch these long-awaited movies?

Images – Thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.