4 Reasons Why You Should Play the Sims

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with “The Sims” game, the concept is very simple: you simulate real life. You create your own characters (called “Sims”), build or buy their houses, have your characters get jobs and have children, and so on. With the addition of expansion packs, you can also add pets and supernatural creatures into your games. If you aren’t already drawn in by the brief explanation of the premise, here are four reasons why you should play “The Sims”! Disclaimer: All of my points are based off of features available in “The Sims 3”. These features may or may not be available in other versions of the game.

1. You can do pretty much whatever you want

Unlike other video games where there’s usually a specific plot to follow or tasks to accomplish, you can do whatever you want with your Sims. Just like real life, there is no specific “end goal.” You create your own plot and decide what your Sims do. If you want your Sim to become the President, you can do that. If you want your Sim to be a famous movie star, you can do that. If you want your Sim to do nothing but eat popcorn and watch TV, you can do that. All you have to do is make sure that your Sim’s needs (like hunger and sleep) are met or else they die. But you can always turn off these needs with a simple cheat if you’d rather focus on other aspects of gameplay. So, “The Sims” is the perfect game for more casual gamers.

2. There are goal-oriented tasks, if that’s your preferred gaming style

If you’re not a fan of doing whatever you want and are more of a goal-oriented gamer, you can complete optional goal-oriented tasks. Each Sim typically has “wishes,” just like real humans. These wishes could range from eating a specific snack to getting married to seeing a ghost. You can either reject or accept these wishes. The more wishes you help your Sim grant, the more Lifetime rewards you can purchase with Lifetime Happiness points earned from the wishes. Rewards include immunity to Sim diseases, having your Sim become more attractive, or becoming extra creative. Also, each Sim has a Lifetime Wish, like having a certain number of romantic partners or becoming a high-level scientist. Lifetime Wishes typically take an entire Sim’s life to complete, unless you slow down aging, so they can be a fun way to help structure your Sim’s life.

3. It’ll help you flex your creativity skills

If you enjoy creating original characters in fiction or art, then you’ll love “The Sims”. Essentially, you get the opportunity to create between one and eight Sims when you first start out with the game. You can make them look however you want, assign personality traits, zodiac signs, voice pitch, and favorite food or color. If you already have original characters, you could even recreate them in the Sims. I highly recommend this if you’re a writer, since you can generate a few new plot ideas by playing the game. If you’re interested in any form of architecture or interior design, you also get the opportunity to build and decorate your Sim’s home. Want to build a Gothic castle? You can do it! Want to build your dream home? You can do it!

4. It’s a great escape from the real world

Sometimes, the real world sucks and it’s good to take a little time away from it all to unwind. In “The Sims”, you’re in control of everything. If you want a world that’s a perfect utopia, you can create it. If you’ve always wanted to be a celebrity or an artist but feel like those dreams are inaccessible to you, you can live out those fantasies in “The Sims”. Sometimes a short break is all you need to gain the strength to deal with the real world again.

“The Sims” games have been a favorite of mine ever since “Sims 2”. It’s hard to believe that The Sims franchise turned 18 this year, because these games have been a staple of both my childhood and adulthood. Hopefully this post will inspire you to give these games a try. Who knows? They may just become a staple in your life, too!

Images: 1

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.