4 Albums You Have To Include In Your Christmas Playlist This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

If there’s one thing that can drastically change your mood and make you go from despondence to euphoria it has to be music. So what better to put you in the mood for Christmas festivities than updating your playlist with 2017 Christmas-pop music? This holiday season, there’s a bunch of newly released festive albums that you have to check out:

1. Everyday is Christmas by Sia  

Favorite songs“Santa’s Coming For Us”, “Candy Cane Lane”, “Sunshine”

The album has a more mellow tone relative to Sia’s usual eccentric singing style. Her idiosyncrasy, which normally makes her songs distinct from other artists, is toned down in this album; however, it doesn’t stop you from loving the album. The album would fit perfectly with your typical Christmas carols, while at the same time adding a more eclectic feel to it.

2. You Make it Feel Like Christmas by Gwen Stefani

Favorite songs“My Gift Is You”, “You Make It Feel Like Christmas”

Despite thousands of renditions of the quintessential Christmas carols, Gwen Stefani’s album incorporates covers of Jingle Bells, Santa Baby, and several other played out carols which could find a way into your festive celebrations, but which you wouldn’t be missing much if they didn’t. However, the singer’s original compositions of the album are definitely something you have to listen to.

3. Christmas After Midnight by Fantasia Barrino  

Favorite songs “The Snow Is Falling”, “Hallelujah”

In her album, Fantasia Barrino, the 2004 American Idol winner, exhibits a blend of R&B music with festive Christmas carols. Her renditions of the classical Christmas carols keep the album traditional, but at the same time it’s important to note that the album isn’t perfect because honestly did this world really need another cover of “Silent Night”? Nevertheless, she brought her own originality to these songs.

4. Warmer in the Winter by Lindsey Stirling  

Favorite songs“Time To Fall In Love”, “Christmas C’mon”, “I Saw Three Ships”, “Warmer In The Winter”

This was definitely my favorite Christmas album. Lindsey Stirling puts her own spin on classics like “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” and “You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch”, managing to make them even better than the originals. Apart from this, she adds the little bit of unconventionality which is needed to take the album to the next level with her original songs, that bring a sense of freshness to Christmas.

If you haven’t heard these albums, go check them out ASAP to add a few new songs to your outdated Christmas playlist!

Images: Thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.