photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

3 Things You Should Do over Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Most families tend to have their own Thanksgiving traditions. I know my family has many ways that we celebrate love and togetherness on Thanksgiving to make the holiday truly fun and festive. Here are three things you should be doing over Thanksgiving, too! 

1. Cook your favorite Thanksgiving dish

Every year, my sister and my mom make a classic family recipe together: cranberry orange relish. It’s sort of like traditional cranberry sauce, but with a twist. They both always look forward to making the relish together; it’s something special that they share. This Thanksgiving, get your mom, your sibling, your friend, your roommate, or even your pet and practice the art of cooking together. It’s gratifying to be a part of making Thanksgiving dinner and a wonderful way to connect with whoever you are spending the holiday with. You might even make your own new tradition, and you’ll get to eat your favorite food after!

2. After Thanksgiving dinner, go on a walk

This ritual might seem silly, but my family takes a walk around our park after Thanksgiving dinner. It’s lovely to walk in the cold evening, talking and laughing with everyone, and making more room for pie! This is something sort of meditative that we enjoy doing, and that you might like to try with whomever you spend the holiday with. It’s the perfect moment to take in your surroundings and be at rest, as one should over a break!

3. Watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

Watching A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is an annual tradition for my family. This short Peanuts film is truly a classic, as Charlie Brown has all of his friends come over for a Thanksgiving dinner prepared by Snoopy. Featuring gorgeous, nostalgic Vince Guaraldi Trio soundtracks and dreamy Charles Shulz illustrations, this makes for the perfect Thanksgiving movie to watch with your favorite people. Once you’re full from your feast, get in your pajamas and get cozy for this holiday film!

I hope you will try out some of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions for yourself this year. However you spend the holiday, I hope it is festive and relaxing! Be well, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Images:  X X X 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.    

Rachael Amoruso

Mt Holyoke '22

Hi, I'm Rachael! I'm a sophomore and an English and Italian double major! I love dogs, eating pastries, being outdoors, and writing. Most of all, I love Mount Holyoke! #redpegasus
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.