This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

After 18 years on this earth, I wanted to share 18 lessons that molded me into the person I am today. Some of these lessons I didn’t learn easily but without them, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. I am proud of the person that I am becoming as a result of learning these lessons. I hope these lessons can help some of you too.  

grateful journal
Photo by Gabrielle Henderson from Unsplash

Not everyone that is in your life now will be there forever 

Not everyone is meant to stay in your life forever. Sometimes they are only in your life long enough to teach you an important lesson that you needed to learn.

Surround yourself with people who uplift you

Energies are contagious. It is important to surround yourself with positive vibes only.

self care isnt selfish sign
Photo by Madison Inouye from Pexels

Being selfish is okay  

Sometimes you need to put yourself first.

If it’s meant to be, it will be

What is meant for you will not pass you.

Don’t go a mile for someone who wouldn’t take a step for you

Not everyone will treat you how to deserve to be treated. It is important to know your worth and boss up. 

Just because you fail doesn’t mean you are a failure 

Every mistake you make makes you stronger. It is important to make mistakes because without them you wouldn’t grow.

person looking at instagram outside
Photo by Georgia de Lotz from Unsplash

Social media isn’t real life 

The amount of likes and comments you get on a photo does not define your worth. 

Be different

The world would be boring if everyone was the same. 

Do what you love

You only have one life. Live it to the fullest. Don’t spend time doing things you hate, do what you love.

Don’t let the haters get to you

No matter what you do in life, good or bad, someone will always find something negative to say. Ignore the haters and do what you love. 

be kind
Photo by Vie Studio from Pexels

Be kind to others 

You never know what someone else is going through.

People can change, but only if they want to

Sometimes you have to make peace with the fact that not everyone will be who you want them to be.

Go with the flow and trust the process

Life has a funny way of working things out sometimes. You just have to believe.

Often times the best things in life are the things you didn’t plan 

Life doesn’t go according to plan sometimes and that’s alright. Sometimes the new direction that you are headed towards ends up being better than the one you missed out on.

Not everyone will like you and that’s ok 

You cannot control how other people view you. The only view that matters is how you view yourself.

Smiley face on the street
Photo by Jacqueline Munguia from Unsplash

Don’t rely on other people for your own happiness 

It’s important to be secure in yourself. You shouldn’t let how other people feel about you affect how you feel about yourself. 

Choose love over lust 

It’s easy to find someone that you are physically attracted to, but it is harder to find someone that you deeply connect with and who loves you like no other. 

Most importantly, don’t settle for less than you deserve 

Don’t settle, plant the seeds from the life you strive to live. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Hi everyone my name is Sophia Erivbieta. I am a freshman at Mount Holyoke and I go by the she/her pronouns. I plan on majoring in philosophy and psychology.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.