15 of the Weirdest Facts I Could Find on the Internet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

The internet is a wondrous, but often strange place. You can talk to your friends, go shopping, find a romantic partner, and research string theory all on the internet. Or, you could be like me and look up some weird facts about random things; here are 15 of the weirdest facts that I could find on the internet. Enjoy!

1. For every human in the world, there are one million ants.

2. Ants don’t have lungs.

3. Killer whales are really a species of dolphin.

4. Cats have three eyelids.

5. Walmart’s most popular items are bananas.

6. Dogs are banned in Antarctica.

7. It is impossible to sneeze while asleep.

8. July 27th is “Take Your Houseplants for a Walk Day.”

9. Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.

10. Light doesn’t always travel at the speed of light.

11. The largest snowflake ever was 15 inches long.

12. Melting glaciers and icebergs make a fizzing noise called “bergy seltzer.”

13. August 3rd is “Grab Some Nuts Day.” (The kind you eat!)

14. Every year, 8,000 Americans are injured by musical instruments.

15. It is illegal to vote for Donald Duck in Sweden.

Hopefully some of these weird facts made you laugh, amused you, or made you think, and feel free to share any other weird facts you’ve learned with us in the comments!

Sources: X X X X X

Images: 1, 2, 3

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.