10 Songs to Get You Through the First Half of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Are you stressed out? Are you sick of the frequent fluctuations in the weather? Do you have exams coming up soon? If so, here are the current top ten songs from my comfort playlist. I listen to these songs when I am doing homework, walking around campus, and even while I nap!

1. “Emergency! Emergency!” by The Promise Ring

A couple of weeks ago before my 8:35am class started, my professor played “Is This Thing On?” by The Promise Ring, which lead me to discover this song. On iTunes they are listed under the alternative genre. I can’t describe their “sound” because it’s so unique to them (or at least I have never heard of another band that sounds similar). If I were to compare them to another band, I would say the Front Bottoms, but even then it doesn’t do them justice because their sound is extremely 90’s alternative. There is no screaming and the lyrics are repetitive, but I like it because it’s unique.

2. “A Real Hero” by College feat. Electric Youth

I Shazammed this song a while back and it makes me feel like something important is about to happen. It’s listed under the dance genre on iTunes. It has simple beats and female lead vocals and has an 80’s vibe to it. It is also quite repetitive but this is a song for lying in the grass and just pondering the world.

3. “The Woods (Ghost Remix)” by Hollow Coves

This song captures the “indie alternative” vibe that I associate with alternative music. It has some dance beat components, and has a strong male vocal that is very soothing. This song is a true feel good song. The remix does speed up the pace a bit, but I really like the overlay of beats that makes me bob my head. A similar song might be “Polish Girl” by Neon Indian.

4. “Heartbreaker” by MSTRKRFT feat. John Legend

First, I love John Legend. His voice is smooth as silk. Plus, his song is extremely relatable because it’s about heartbreak. It may be triggering if you have just gone through a breakup, but I think the lyrics may speak to what you are feeling and can give you some solace that other people are feeling the same grief that you may be experiencing. Besides the lyrics, it has a great beat, is catchy, and John Legend’s vocal contributions are the cherry on top. Also. everyone goes through heartbreak at least once in their life and this song is  a reflection on a relationship.

5. “Neopolitan Dreams (Finis Mundi Edit)” by Lisa Mitchell

This song is similar to “The Show” by Lenka with a nice simplistic beat that was added from the Finis Mundi Edit. It’s sped up a little in comparison to the original, but not so fast that the vocals get distorted or make her sound like she is on fast forward. This is a cute, girly, indie song. It also is calling out how the other person is fake, which is also extremely relatable. Everyone has at one point been fake or been around fake people and this song puts it into perspective.

6. “Looking Too Closely” by Fink

When I listen to this song, I imagine myself sitting on the porch of an old rickety wooden house overlooking the ocean. It’s fall and the cold has just begun to set in and I’m watching the sun setting and this song is playing in the background. I am not sure why I imagine that but this song is like the calm before the storm. It makes me feel things; I wouldn’t necessarily say it produces anxiety but it’s a weird sort of calm. Why is it on this list? I think it’s a really good song that makes my heart swell. I love listening to this song when I go driving through Maine or Vermont.

7. “Lazy Wonderland” by Broken Bells

This is a song that evokes laziness, like the title states. It’s also one of those songs that I could imagine myself laying on the grass looking up at the clouds as they pass overhead. This is one of Broken Bell’s more upbeat songs. They fall under the alternative genre and can be compared to Coconut Records and The Shins. It has a melancholy sound but with a lackadaisical feel.

8. “There’s Never Enough Time” by The Postal Service

This song is the cutest because it has an 8-bit video game sound quality. It’s a song I can zone out but still appreciate the background sounds. Because the beat is repetitive and the vocals are quiet, I listen to it while doing homework to keep a rhythm in my head. If I were in a video game, I would choose this as my theme song.

9. “Afloat” by Caleb and Sol

The singers, Caleb and Sol, are identical twins! Anyway, this song makes me realize that asking for help or relying on others is human and that we should not always try to do everything on our own because that is when we get stressed. This song literally keeps me “afloat” by reminding me that despite the hardships I may face, I will rise above it. During my freshmen year at my first college, one of the all-male a cappella groups sung this song and so not only is it a spirit brightener, the memory of listening to this song when deciding to transfer or not was really powerful.

10. “Perfect Day” by Hoku

I recently watched Legally Blonde again and I forgot how iconic this song is! It’s now my alarm tone for the morning so I can be just like Elle Woods. This makes me feel like I can conquer the world. It should be on everyone’s playlist because it’s truly a feel good song. It truly embodies 2000’s bubblegum pop. Listening to this song has definitely increased the amount of good days I have had in the past couple of weeks. Even if I wake up in a grumpy mood, listening to this song literally wipes the frown off my face and I can’t help but dance and strut around my room as I rush to get dressed and run to class. And who doesn’t want to bop around their room in the morning with a smile plastered onto their face?

Maya Johnson is a junior at Mount Holyoke College from New York City. She is a Psychology and Education Major. She has a love for dance, rock climbing, ice skating, and skiing. Despite being small in size, Maya makes up for it with her gregarious and bubbly personality!
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.