Your Spring 2012 Movie Must-See List!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

2012 has already brought us some great movies. Underworld: Awakening, The Grey, Man on a Ledge and Woman in Black kick-started this year’s list of  new releases, and they are just the beginning.  From February to May, Hollywood is churning out some exceptional movies that will sadden us, make us laugh, make us think, and almost always bring us to the edge of our seats.

The Vow

Opened February 10th

Starring Rachel McAdams, Channing Tatum and Sam Neill

It’s been 8 years since The Notebook came out and, let’s face it girls, we need another heart-melting romance.  It’s time for Noah to step aside and let Channing Tatum’s Leo show us the meaning of love and devotion in a whole new way.  The Vow follows the story of Leo and Paige, a couple very deeply in love, when Paige is involved in a car accident that robs her of her memory.  After being roused from a coma, she doesn’t remember Leo or the life that they had together.  Based on true events, this movie shows a husband’s dedication to either make his wife remember their romance or win her back.  Though guys may find it a bit too sappy, it may just give girls faith that soul mates, despite contrary belief, do exist.  With an excellent cast that has proved well in the romantic category in the past, The Vow seems to be the perfect Valentine’s Day movie to see with your boyfriend, your girlfriends, or maybe just with the imaginary man of your dreams.

[pagebreak]

The Secret World of Arrietty

Opened February 17th

Starring Bridgit Mendler, Amy Poehler and Will Arnett

Those who have seen cult-celebrated animated films like Ponyo and Howl’s Movie Castle know that Japanese animation involves whimsical fantasy with refreshing jolts of colorful actuality.  Hayao Miyazaki, along with Studio Ghibli in Japan, have become known as the father of these films; however, this time Miyazaki’s former animation director Hiromasa Yonebayashi is taking a shot at directing the studio’s first Disney backed film.  Based on the award-winning children’s novel The Barrowers, this film features The Clock family, a group of 4-inch-tall people who reside in another family’s home, barrowing what they need to survive.  To them, a thread is a rope, a fishing hook is a grappling hook and a needle is a sword.  They exist peacefully until they are discovered by the boy living in the house, which causes a number of consequences, including turmoil for their family and possible death, but in the end brings an unexpected friendship.  Though rated G, this film contains messages of companionship and bravery that applies to all ages, while the vibrant animation itself is reason enough to see it.  Arrietty’s world may be small,
but in the hands of Yonebayashi, its impact is sure to be big.

[pagebreak]

Act of Valor

Opening February 24th

Starring Alex Veadov, Roselyn Sanchez and Nestor Serrano

We have all seen war movies based on true events and are shocked to imagine such horrifying things happening in real life.  However, never before have we seen a war movie based on true events starring multiple active duty Navy SEALs.  Leading this original approach, directors Mike McCoy and Scott Waugh created Act of Valor in hopes of exposing the real-life heroism that occurs on today’s anti-terrorism warfront.  The film follows the Bandito Platoon as they launch a covert mission to recover a kidnapped CIA agent and, in the process, discover a lethal terrorist plot against the United States.  Featuring the most up-to-date technology and the rawest emotion imaginable, this film allows us to enter the minds of the most highly trained soldiers that the U.S. has to offer.  Although those of us safe at home might never realize it, plots such as these are discovered and prevented day after day, which is what makes the film so powerful.  We owe our appreciation to the men depicted in this movie and the men acting in this movie, because for them this heart-pounding, action packed film is real life.

[pagebreak]

Wanderlust

Opening February 24th 

Starring Jennifer Aniston, Paul Rudd and Malin Akerman

Suggesting a nice break from the February blues, Wanderlust is a comedy that will hopefully bring us out of the monotonous working life and into a world of collective existence and free love.  Created by David Wain, the man that brought us Role Models, Wanderlust tells the story of a recently unemployed couple who decide to ditch their life in Manhattan and join a rural commune.  This seems as though it could turn into the normal “fish-out-of-water” tale, however, if it proves to be anything like Role Models, there will be constant laughs and startling situations.  Already, the promise of a completely nude protest has fans perking their ears.  Also, Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston have proved to be a winning combination in the past; they established their cohesive on-screen relationship in the 1998 film The Object of My Affection.  So if you’re looking for a break in the middle of a dreary February, Wanderlust promises some perspective, some shock, and of course, more than a few laugh.

[pagebreak]

[pagebreak]

21 Jump Street

Opening March 16th 

Starring Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum and Ice Cube

Lately, Hollywood seems to be producing more remakes of eighty’s movies than new ones and most of the time they don’t shouldn’t be remade.  Although one could argue that the original 21 Jump Street with Johnny Depp is too good to be redone, there are some factors that should be considered.  First off, the plot of this film was as relevant in the eighty’s as it is now—it highlights a pair of underachieving cops that go undercover at a local high school to uncover the source of a new synthetic drug.  It is a timeless story that is sure to bring action and laughs no matter when it is made.  Second, it is lead by Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.  Hill is on a hot streak; he just received an Oscar nomination for Moneyball and isn’t likely to disappoint anytime soon.  Tatum is coming off of The Vow (above) and though he may not have the acting chops of Johnny Depp, he has the heartthrob appeal.  Third, the screenplay was written by the man who last year brought us Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, both a cult and critic favorite.  With a combination like that, 21 Jump Street is looking to be an eighty’s remake that, unlike many others, will not disappoint. 

[pagebreak]

The Hunger Games

Opening March 23rd 

Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth

Already surrounded with plenty of hype, The Hunger Games has many fans eagerly awaiting the first on-screen installment of the bestselling book series.  With fandom similar to  that of Harry Potter or Twilight, this movie has a lot to prove on its debut.  It follows the story of Katniss Everdeen, a girl that is the member of District 12, a region ruled by the dystopian government called the Capitol.  Every year, the Capitol holds an event called the Hunger Games, where two members from each of the 12 districts are chosen to fight to the death on live TV.  When Katniss’s sister is chosen to compete, Katniss volunteers to take partin the games in the place of her sister.  What happens after this is a never-ending web of love, conspiracy, and brutal killings that will decide Katniss’s fate.  Led by the Oscar-nominated Jennifer Lawrence and supported by heartthrobs Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth, this stellar cast is giving many fans hope that the movie will do the book its justice.  For now it is almost certain that newcomers to the trilogy are in for a surprise and even longtime fans are going to be left on the edge of their seat.

[pagebreak]

Wrath of the Titans

Opening March 30th

Starring Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Rosamund Pike

Wrath of the Titans is the only 3D movie on the list solely because it is the only quality 3D movie worth noting coming out this spring.  While many recent movies are merely hopping on the 3D bandwagon, Wrath of the Titans is sure to have some startling graphics that will shine on the 3D screen.  This movie follows the journey of Perseus as he embarks on a quest to rescue Zeus from the abyss of the underworld.  Zeus has been captured by Ares and Hades in an attempt to make a deal with the Titans, who have been imprisoned within the underworld for many years.  While siphoning Zeus’s powers, all hell is unleashed on earth, which will provide some eye catching graphics and animations, as the poster above provides.  Also, the cast boasts many big names, including Sam Worthington and Ralph Fiennes.  Part Greek fairy tale and part battle account, Wrath of the Titans is sure to provide 3D entertainment of the highest quality and might even be the perfect movie for that Sunday night date with your guy. 

[pagebreak]

The Five-Year Engagement

Opening April 27th 

Starring Jason Segel, Emily Blunt and Chris Pratt

Ever wonder what happened after the proposal?  After the ending of the romantic comedy when everything was perfect?  Enter The Five-Year Engagement.  This comedy, brought to us Judd Apatow, the producer of Bridesmaids and Knocked Up, shows us that engagements, not just relationships, can have ups and downs too.  Violet and Tom are planning on marrying within the year, but when Violet gets a job at the University of Michigan, their wedding is put off for two… then three… well, you get the picture.  This film stars a cast of many established and up-and-coming comedy greats, such as Jason Segel, Chris Pratt, Mindy Kaling and Alison Brie.  Also, it is the comedy debut for the usually drama-prone Emily Blunt.  This is Jason Segel’s first collaboration with Judd Apatow since the 2008 comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  If that combination was any indication of how well they work together, The Five-Year Engagement will not be one to miss.

[pagebreak]

[pagebreak]

The Avengers

Opening May 4th

Starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson

One of the most anticipated films of the year, The Avengers brings together an amazing cast to, for the first time, assemble the Marvel team the Avengers.  Made up of Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye, and The Hulk, this is Marvel’s most diverse superhero team.  Not much has been released about the plot, but we do know that the Avengers are going to be needed to help save the Earth from the villain Loki and his wicked army.  This ambiguity has left room for many fans to guess the nature of the plot and what turns it will take.  For now though, we can take a look at why this movie will undoubtedly be great.  The Avengers combines many of the recently superb superhero movies like Iron Man and gathers the great characters, and great actors, all on one screen.  Also, the effects and action are going to be generated with the best technology to create realistic fights and battles.  With all that is going into this movie, fans may be guessing what path the Avengers will go down, but there is no doubt that it will be an exciting and exhilarating ride.

[pagebreak]

The Dictator

Opening May 11th

Starring Sacha Baron Cohen, Anna Faris and John C. Reilly

If we have come to learn anything from Sacha Baron Cohen movies it is that they will surely offend.  We’ve also learned that despite the first point, they are usually hilarious.  Borat showed us how politically incorrect Cohen can be, Bruno showed us how vulgar he can be, and it seems The Dictator will show us what he can do with political humor.  Even the official synopsis has a mocking tone to it.  The Paramount-released statement describes the comedy as, “The heroic story of a dictator who risks his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed.”  With his large glasses and military uniform, he seems to be taking a shot at Moammar Gadhafi or Saddam Hussein, suggesting that Cohen’s humor might be slightly more mature this time around.  But, probably not.  We could speculate all we want, but with Cohen it seems best to sit back, relax, and wait to be insulted—and then crack up.

[pagebreak]

What to Expect When You’re Expecting

Opening May 18th

Starring Jennifer Lopez, Anna Kendrick, Elizabeth Banks, Cameron Diaz, Matthew Morrison                     and Dennis Quaid

Based on the bestselling book, What to Expect When You’re Expecting will have followers expecting a lot from this female-driven flick.  It boasts an awesome cast, with multiple leading ladies and strong supporting men.  The movie takes a look at five different couples who are all on very different paths to parenthood; Holly wants to adopt but Nate isn’t ready, Wendy wanted the ‘pregnancy glow’, Rosie’s baby is completely unplanned and Skyler’s husband is repeatedly mistaken for her father.  Through multiple different viewpoints, this movie is going to tell us the cold, hard truth about pregnancy and the pains that come with it, but with some of the laughs as well.  This movie will be a fun way to look at pregnancy, parenthood, and all the crap that comes in between.  Though some may see this as just another chick flick, with the hilarious supporting men and feisty leading women, What to Expect When You’re Expecting could turn out to be more than you might expect.

[pagebreak]

Moonrise Kingdom

Opening May 16th

Starring Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, and Frances                                   McDormand

Returning to the screen for his first live action film since 2007, Wes Anderson seems to have done it again.  Formerly directing cult favorites such as The Royal Tenenbaums and The Darjeeling Limited, Anderson has an aptitude for creating very unique movies with eccentric characters and unconventional plots.  Moonrise Kingdom is no different.  This film follows the tale of a young boy and girl that fall in love and flee their New England town to live in their own fantastical world.  Meanwhile, a local search party full of unusual characters fans out to find them.  It sounds straightforward enough, but this tale, which is co-written by Anderson and Roman Coppola, is sure to have surprises as well as whimsical twists along the way.  This time the Wilson brothers are absent, a usual staple to Anderson’s films, and are replaced by the more than capable Edward Norton and Bruce Willis who give promises of excellent, original performances.  Though it does not have as large of a following as The Avengers or The Hunger Games, Anderson has his own cult following that will eagerly await Moonrise Kingdom and the creative perspective it will inevitably bring.

[pagebreak]

Men in Black III

Opening May 25th

Starring Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, and Josh Brolin

It’s been 10 years since we have seen Agent J and Agent K on the silver screen, and now the Men in Black are back for more alien control, more secrets, and more of those bright, flashing things that erase memory.  Though it seems like 10 years is a long time to be out of the game, it looks like this new installment to the series will fall right into step with the previous films.  In MIB III, Agent J is forced to travel back in time to the early stages of the MIB in the 1960’s.  His mission: save his friend Agent K from an alien assassination that would change history.  The storyline seems creative enough to keep us on our feet, while Will Smith’s and Tommy Lee Jones’s familiar characters will be a nice welcome back to the franchise.  With many newcomers like Josh Brolin joining the cast as the young Agent K, Men in Black III promises just enough of the familiar thrown in with the latest inventive storyline to keep fans new and old thoroughly entertained.

Thankfully, the always growing list of new blockbusters doesn’t end in May.  The rest of 2012 has many anticipated films coming to the box office, including The Dark Knight Rises, the last installment of Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, and The Hobbit, the prequel to The Lord of the Rings.  But for now, these 13 anticipated films can help us laugh through the dark winter, bring us excitement in the dreary spring, and make certain that we relax and bask in the pleasures of the silver screen. 

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!