This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I have always been the person who can’t handle 100 things in my head at once. It stresses me out and causes me to ultimately shut down. When I was young, I learned that an efficient way of solving this problem was by writing everything out: by making a to-do list. Eventually, this led to me religiously using planners throughout middle school and high school and using stickies on my laptop to keep track of my work and upcoming assignments. However, my planners were often just not right for me. I always wanted to add things to them and wished that certain sections were left out. As a senior in high school, I learned about the art of bullet journaling, and never looked back since.

A bullet journal is an all-in-one diary, planner, and to-do list. Actually, it’s anything you want it to be. You can make yours simply a planner, or simply a to-do list. You can make it extremely fancy like those instagram bloggers, or completely black and white and simple. This leads me to my first reason: bullet journals are extremely customizable and can be whatever you want them to be. You won’t spend hours looking for a planner that’s just right, because you can make it! You can make it exactly how you want it to be.

Additionally, you can choose to go day-by-day or year-by-year. Since you are making it yourself, you can have your journal adapt as you go along. I like this because I don’t have to commit to a single layout for an entire year. You can choose monthly themes,  yearly themes, or go however you want. It’s nice that you can make it as you go along.

Next, pretty much your whole life is in one place. Everything is kept neatly in one book. You will no longer have hundreds of sticky notes flying around the house because all of your to-dos will be together. Additionally, this will ensure that you have easy access to your budgets, to-do lists, calendars, and feelings. This helps because if you ever need to find something, it is all there.

Moving on to my last points, having a bullet journal is a great way to reflect. You can look through your journal and track not only your productivity, but also your feelings, your habits, and whatever else you choose to keep in your bullet journal. It is so nice to be able to look back at your life and feel accomplished, or maybe realize you need to step it up.

Overall, having a bullet journal is extremely convenient and allows you to be more organized with everything from your tasks, to your money, to your feelings. I would recommend everyone to try some form of it!

My name is Esha Garg! I am a freshman at MSU studying nutritional sciences and am on a pre-medical field. In my free time, I love writing, doing yoga, and playing tennis.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.