This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Too many times I have heard people say, “I don’t care.” We live in a world where people are afraid to open their hearts, just because they are scared that they will get hurt. But is a life like that really worth living? You only get to live once — do you really want to waste it by not feeling anything?

Why do people try to numb the pain? Numbing the pain will only make it worse in the future. You have to heal — you need to heal — to take the next step. Healing is a process that varies from person to person, and it can take anywhere between a few days to a few years! But you need to try. You need to try to move on, even if it means taking baby steps. And the first (and probably the hardest) step of healing is grieving.

You need to accept what happened to you, but also have faith in the future — faith in yourself. Believe that something better is out there for you, and it does not necessarily mean a partner or a good job — it means believing that you will work hard and make a better future for yourself. And for that, you need to grieve and then accept that life is unfair to everyone, but it doesn’t mean that you should stop trying. If you feel like crying or shouting, do it! Don’t be afraid — you will feel better once you let your emotions out.

Your passions, what you have been through, what you want to do in the world — that’s what makes you YOU. And you’re amazing! The world should know that. So darling, please care.

In the words of JM Storm, “The thing you have to remember is to not put life in a box. That’s what no one tells you. That’s what you have to learn on your own. Life often has plans bigger than you can dream.”

Photo courtesy of StockSnap

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian