Who Said Looking Fashionable Can’t Be Comfortable?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

When the alarm goes off early in the morning and you feel the cold January weather, the last thing that sounds appealing is dressing up for class when you hear your boots and leggings calling your name. However, there are so many ways to look adorable while being warm, comfortable, and casual in class! It’s good to have a few essential winter pieces and ideas that can be really cute as well as super comfy.

1. One of the easiest outfits to throw together for that early class is a long sweater dress paired with some fleece-lined tights or thicker leggings. With a little pop of color in thebelt at your waist it can transform a “sack like” dress into a figure-flattering, warm sweater! Another plus of this easy outfit is that the dress will cover your butt, keeping your whole body warm as you sit on those freezing benches waiting for the bus.
  1. A must-have for winter is a pair of fuzzy socks. Typically these heavenly socks are to be worn only behind closed doors, but hidden under a pair of riding boots, these fuzzy things keep your feet nice and toasty as you stomp through the tundra we call East Lansing. These are my guilty pleasure all winter long!
  1. What I love about winter is the fact that you can get away with wearing baggy sweaters that keep you warm if you pair it with either a statement necklace, bold pair of earrings, or a stylish infinity scarf. Simple accessories can totally transform a once plain sweater and make those other girls question their decision to wear sweats. Not only will you look cute in that brutal 9:00 am Econ class, but you will also be warm and cozy!
  1. Now ladies, I understand that leggings appear to be the only option when all you want to do is lay in bed but you’re forced to go to class, but don’t forget you have other comfortable options as well! Let’s be honest, there’s nothing worse than that cold wind piercing through your thin leggings and numbing your entire leg. This is why leggings aren’t for winter. You can still be relaxed and WARM in a pair of stretchy jeans. They don’t have to be stiff Levi’s anymore since almost all jeans are made out of stretchier and softer material. For something a bit different, try  exchanging the normal blue jean with a colored or corduroy pant. This winter’s most popular colors are a wine red, dark green, and browns.

It’s a new semester with cold weather, snowy sidewalks, and slippery roads but that isn’t an excuse for us fashionistas to slack in the fashion department! With these simple outfit tips you are sure to look cute and comfortable in your classes. A new semester means all new classmates and Her Campus is here to help you make a great first impression!

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis