What I Wish I Knew at The Beginning of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Stress levels are running high as flustered students scarf down coffee and scurry around campus to their last classes.  It wouldn’t be uncommon to see students with their heads stuffed in a textbook and in the study lounge until daybreak.  Yep, it’s that time of year-finals week and the end of another semester at MSU.  I can’t believe the year’s already half way over, but the now bare trees of the Sanford Natural Area and empty football stadium are constant reminders that fall has come and gone.  Along with many important concepts learned in class, I’ve acquired some inside knowledge that all collegiettes™ should know.  Here’s what I wish I knew my first semester here at Michigan State:

1. Sensible shoes are a must-have.  I’m not saying they can’t be cute, but there are times when flip flops just aren’t going to cut it.  With a campus as big as Michigan State’s, walking is inevitable and blisters don’t feel very good after a long day of classes.  Waterproof shoes or boots are always a good idea as well, thanks to Michigan’s unexpected rainstorms.
  2. Allow plenty of travel time.  It can take longer to walk across campus than it looks on a map, so plan a couple extra minutes to make sure to arrive on time to class.  The busses get crowded too, especially on bad weather days.  To avoid sprinting down the sidewalks to make it on time or walking in after the lecture has started, be on the safe side and add an extra five or ten minutes to your morning walk.
  3. Always get your Combo X-Change.  If you live in a dorm and have a meal plan, take advantage of Combo X-Change.  Even if you’ve just eaten dinner, pick up some pop-tarts and a drink and save it in your room.  You’ll be thankful come tomorrow morning’s rush out the door.
  4. Make friends with your R.A.!  Resident Advisors are there to assist students living in the dorms and assure a peaceful living environment.  However, they are full of great advice and are a great resource for first-hand experience
  5. Invest in a pair of earbuds or headphones.  Seriously! From listening to your iPod on the way to class to watching YouTube videos to entertain yourself while your roomie is sleeping, headphones are a lifesaver in college.  They allow you to listen to what you want without disturbing others, which is key in the close confines of a dorm room or the main lib.
  6. Buy an alarm clock, and use it!  Your mom isn’t around to make sure you’re awake and push you out the door for school, so it’s your responsibility to get to class.  I know I’ve experienced that surge of panic after realizing I’ve slept 45 minutes past my alarm clock.  It’s not something that you want to make a habit of.
  7. Join a club or a group.  You may think this is easier said than done, but trust me when I say you won’t be disappointed.  There are hundreds of opportunities on MSU’s campus and one of them is bound to match your interests.  Whether it is a sorority, intramural sports team, or religious affiliated group, getting involved is also a great way to make friends who share common interests and have some fun in the process.
  8. College goes by fast-make the best of it!  This may sound cliché, but college really does go by faster than you think.  It seems like only a couple weeks ago we were breaking a sweat on the way to class instead of bundling up and I, among many other freshmen, was carrying around a map trying not to get lost in the jungle we call our campus.

Being at college has taught me many things.  I’ve learned to prioritize and improve my time management.  I feel more comfortable introducing myself to people and putting myself out there.  I discovered that what you do with your time here is your choice, and no one else’s.  Education is important, and it’s the reason why all of us are here in the first place.  Focus on your studies, but remember to stop and take a deep breath now and then, and enjoy what many call the best years of their lives.  Good Luck and Go GREEN!

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!