What to Get Your V-Day Sweetie From 1 Month To a Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

A common problem on Valentine’s Day is what to get your significant other, and depending on how long you have been dating someone, gift giving could end in disaster.  Was your gift too over the top or did you forget to give anything at all?  Here are some gift-giving ideas that vary depending on the length of time you have been dating, which will hopefully prevent that Valentine’s Day awkwardness we all fear and hope won’t happen. 

1 Month: 

At one month you do not want your guy running for the hills!  No matter how sensitive he may seem, no need to scare him off with a couples massage or the 52 reasons you love him… that’s more than one reason for every day you have been dating!  Keep it simple.  Fill a take out box with some valentines candy from Target and he will appreciate the gesture and not feel upstaged if all he got you was a box of chocolates or a rose. 

Target Candy

2 Months: 

Two months is a good time to show your guy what you can do.  Baked goods you made yourself are always a good way to steal a man’s heart.  Bake some chocolate chip cookies, cake batter cookies, maybe some cupcakes or if you feel gutsy try whipping up this Valentines Day fudge and your man will not be disappointed! 

Valentines Fudge

Cake Cookies

3 Months: 

Valentines Day can be very stressful on your guy.  Suggest a date night in, away from all the other couples flaunting their relationship and he will know he is important to you.  Pick a “guy movie,” make some dinner, prepare a small dessert and snuggle up on the couch.  With this simple mixture of fortune cookies and dipping chocolate, the night will be a hit! 

Fortune Cookies with Chocolate

[pagebreak]

4 Months: 

At four months you can definitely step it up a notch.  Buy some baked goods from a local café like the Red Cedar Café or SugarShack.  Go ahead, you’ve been dating four months; you can spare a little extra cash on your valentine!

5 Months: 

When in doubt, buy a fortune cookie!  With this customizable cookie you can put any fortune you like so make it as mushy as your guy can handle, and just think, with a cookie this big hopefully he will share! 

Giant Fortune Cookie

6 Months: 

You’ve been dating for six months.  Spice up your Valentines Day with a set of Love Coupons.  These free printable coupons say things like one free kiss and will be a cute surprise for your boyfriend.  Stick them in his wallet or tie them to the top of a cutely wrapped bag of candies and maybe he will use his free kiss coupon right away! 

Love Coupons

[pagebreak]

7 Months: 

Whether you have or have not already told your boyfriend you love him; this would be a cute way to do it.  Use a deck of cards (old or new) and write on each card one reason you love him.  Add pictures to personalize the deck and the good news is this gift would only cost about $5 if you buy a brand new deck of cards! 

Deck of Cards Tutorial

8 Months: 

The Seven Days of Love.  For this gift you will only need a seven-day pill case, some candy and seven days worth of love notes written on a small piece of paper.  Fill each day of the pill case with a different type of candy and fold your note into a small square; stick it into the case with candy and let him know each day why you love him. 

7 Days of Love Tutorial

9 Months: 

Take a Valentines Day trip!  What better way to spend Valentines Day then on a train ride to Soaring Eagle Casino?  During this romantic getaway you will be taken from the train station in Owosso, MI to Mt. Pleasant, MI where you can spend the day gambling and dining with your man! 

[pagebreak]

10 Months: 

Plan a secret romantic night out.  If your guy has wanted to see a certain movie for a while, take him to see it but not before you treat him to dinner and dessert.  While some may think this could make the guy feel out of place just tell him he can pay for the next couple of dates if he wants (he will), but this is your treat! 

11 Months: 

Do something different!  Plan a fun night out to your local Zap Zone where they are hosting the Valentines Day Lock-In for $25 each or just $20 if you are a member.  The lock-in begins at 11:45 p.m. and ends at 6 a.m. This is a perfect way to do something unexpected and your guy will love the fact that you thought of him and something he would like to do instead of the traditional romantic dinner.  On the plus side, you do not even have to worry about dinner that night because Zap Zone will be serving pizza and pop at the lock-in! 

12 Months: 

By 12 months you should have a handful of memories, in which case you can make a memory scrapbook!  For each letter, write a different memory and attach each memory card to a scrapbooking ring so your guy can always have those memorable moments that were special to the two of you! 

The ABC’s of Us Tutorial

1 Year: 

Take this time to get that couples massage you’ve been wanting since month one!  Massage and Wellness on East Grand River Avenue is offering discounted couples massages to students at a price of $115 for both clients and they are also serving non-alcoholic beverages and chocolates for each massage from February 11th through the 19th

Massage and Wellness Website: 

http://www.massageandwellnessonline.com/

Number: 

517-203-1113 

Discount Information: 

http://www.cityofeastlansing.com/valentinesday 

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!