The Vinyl Comeback in East Lansing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In a generation based on a mass technology of iPods and downloadable torrents with the click of a button, could it be that beneath it all, vinyl is making its glorified comeback?  If you were to ask the owners of the Record Lounge and Flat Black and Circular then the answer would be a definite “yes.”  Travel down Grand River for a day and meander into either of these record stores for a plethora of classic vinyl, CDs, DVDs, posters and collectibles. 

Beginning at The Record Lounge on the corner of Division, owner Heather Frarey greets customers behind a counter as The Cure sounds throughout the room.  It’s a quaint store filled with posters and flyers and an array of music consisting of vinyl and CD lining the walls and center bins.

“We’re mainly a vinyl shop and indie and classic rock are the big sellers and the main focus,” Heather says.  Since it’s opening in 2008 she notes they’ve seen huge growth the past four years and stated, “The main role we serve is to cater great vinyl to the masses of MSU.”

And catering great vinyl is exactly what she does.  “Classic rock is my biggest seller,” Heather says.  “I can’t keep (bands like) Zeppelin and Pink Floyd in stock because of the high demand.”

Chad Freehauf is a frequent customer at The Record Lounge – a local resident from the area who makes a visit about once a week.  He agrees vinyl is making a comeback as well.

“It’s fun to have something you can buy and actually hold in your hand.  Most records look like a piece of art, so I think it’s something kind of cool to collect.  It’s the ritual of putting music on.  I mean, it’s kind of universal, it makes people happy.”

Rumor has it that The Record Lounge hosts live shows on Wednesday’s.  This was once the case, however, they stopped recently and instead stick with what is known as “Middle of the Mitten – a nonprofit agency run through The Record Lounge to host local community events such as live shows.

The Record Lounge is open everyday, including Sunday from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.

[pagebreak]
            Head on over to Flat Black and Circular, also called FBC, to its upstairs location in the Campus Town Mall where you will be greeted by manager, Jon Howard.  FBC has been open for 34 years – 17 of which Jon has worked there for.  “We’ve never given up on vinyl,” he said.  “It’s always been consistent – it’s huge and it’s all ages, which is great.  CD’s are not totally dead, but vinyl’s definitely been ruling us.”

With the location on a college campus, it would only seem logical that most business comes directly from the students here.  “I actually don’t see that many college kids in general,” Jon stated.  “I don’t know if it’s the kids not being that into music or if it’s part of the general culture of music not being that important to people anymore but hopefully that will come back again.”

The generational gap between classic rock of the eighties and new day indie doesn’t seem to withstand a problem for those college students who have gained a deeper appreciation for music.

Freshman psychology major, Ray Ulrich is one of them.  “I guess I’ve always had an appreciation for music.  When I come here (to FBC), I’m surrounded by it and I’m surrounded by people who appreciate it equally as much as I do.  And there’s just something special about owning a record and the album becomes really important to you, even significant.  Sometimes it’s not about finding an album you really care about, it’s about finding something unique.”

With stores like these, it’s easy to find old favorites and classics as well as a mix of unique new sounds to expand your listening to.  Ray sees the potential for vinyl to make a comeback as well.  “To people who care about music and find it important, then it (vinyl) is going to make a comeback because a lot of those people are going to start coming back to record stores.”

On April 21, FBC will host Record Store Day and will stay open until 11 pm.  Two local bands are scheduled to play, a band from New York and one from Ann Arbor.  Record Store Day began five years ago by major indie labels who wanted to celebrate the indie record store.  They focus one day a year to put out special vinyl releases just for that day.  They sell these releases only to the independent stores who sign up, like FBC.  “So you can’t just get them anywhere,” Jon said.

FBC is open from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and closed on Sunday.  Friday, they stay open until 8 p.m.

Whether you’re into vinyl or CDs, classic or indie, corner or upstairs locations, take a break in between class and get lost in this wide assortment of music.  Expand what you’re listening to and maybe, just maybe, that piece of vinyl artwork you leave with will become the unique soundtrack to your own personal interests.  Be the college student to show that deeper appreciation for music and stop on by!

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!