Tips and Tricks to Help Prepare Students for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Currently, finals are on many students’ minds. Some students have already been assigned final projects and are working on finishing them up before the semester ends. Others may be studying for their upcoming final exams. No matter what type of final you have, there’s a standard guide that everyone can use. Here are some helpful tips you can make use of to help prepare you for finals. 

Utilize your resources

This tip seems quite obvious, right? Well, this doesn’t just apply to studying the class material. Yes, studying is one of the most important ways to prepare yourself, but there’s more to it. Due to the wide variety of classes, your studying habits might vary depending on the class. Before taking any class, you may want to find out what type of learner you are. Are you a visual learner, verbal learner, or kinesthetic learner? The list goes on. Once you figure out which learning style best works for you, practice this type of approach in your learning. If you are a verbal learner, listening to class lectures and other auditory resources will help you. Communicating with your professor can be helpful. Making sure you fully understand what your final entails is crucial. Set up a meeting with them during their office hours if you need to. If you have peers that you get along with in the same class, try planning a study group for all of you. There are always virtual options available to stay safe during this COVID-19 pandemic. Lastly, reach out to any possible resources you have available. At MSU, we have the Writing Center and the Math Center open to students. There’s nothing shameful about utilizing your resources.

Make a plan

Organization is a valuable skill to have. Find out everything you have to complete for your class, especially pertaining to your final. Then, set small goals for yourself. Once you’ve completed that, mark-down when you have free time. Working on these goals for at least a small portion each day will help you accomplish them. This will also feed your mind the knowledge it craves and builds up your confidence with each task you complete. Try investing in a planner or a calendar if you can. There are apps you can use such as the calendar and notes app. Send notifications or write reminders to yourself so you stick to your planned schedule. Don’t beat yourself up if plans change. What’s most important is that you are making an effort. Remember that all of this is to help you prepare for finals. 

Practice self-care

Don’t forget to take care of yourself. You are strengthening your mind, but don’t forget about your body as well. Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water. Try to avoid energy drinks no matter how tempting they may be. It may be beneficial to portion your caffeine intake. It’s important to feed yourself as well. Eat three meals a day with snacks in-between. Eating snacks with protein and potassium can help your brain function. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; waking up early to eat a hefty and healthy breakfast might be worth it to help your brain activity. This means that you should sleep at what is considered a reasonable hour. Getting 7-8 hours of sleep will help refresh your mind and motivate body movement. One tip you can try is getting ready in the morning by putting on an outfit you’d go to school in. This could help put yourself in a school environment and help you focus on studying for finals. There’s nothing wrong with strutting around in your PJs to study.

Meditation and relaxation

It’s no secret that finals can be stressful which can have significant impacts on a person. Make sure that you take some ‘me-time’ so that you can focus on yourself instead of solely on your studies. Maybe participate in one of your low-energy hobbies or take on a new activity to calm yourself down. Meditation is much more than clearing your head of thoughts and participating in a form of yoga. Writing and listening to music can be a form of meditation as well. The important thing is to relax your muscles and calm your mind. You can even wind down by watching a tv show or movie. Try not to use your relaxation time as a way to procrastinate or avoid your work. There should be a healthy balance of studying as well as taking care of your mind, body, and soul. 

Feel free to use these tips to help you best prepare for finals. Remember to believe in yourself; you got this!

Angela Demas is a first-year student attending RCAH MSU. She has experience writing, editing, and helping to publish articles for her former high school's newspaper. Writing, photography, and graphic design are just a few of her passions.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.