This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

This article goes out to all my single ladies. Put your hands up! It’s time to end the social stigma that being single is bad. Especially during your early teens to mid-20s, you are just starting to get to know yourself. Finding your interests, passions, and likes and dislikes is what this chapter of your life is for. Taking the time to develop a good relationship with yourself is key to self-love and growth.

In some cases, teen love can end up being problematic as pressure is involved. Teens often rush into relationships because their friends are involved in one. The same thing can happen for relationships amongst college students. There always seems to be an outside pressure pushing people to be in relationships. The reality is that we all are moving at our own pace. If being in a relationship feels right to you at this point in your life, then, by all means, go for it! If it doesn’t, that’s ok; there’s time for everything.

I have spent the past 18 years of my life single and not in pursuit of anyone. Of course, I have my crushes now and then, but I know I am not ready to commit to a relationship. I am content in myself, and letting life take its course. I don’t want to force anything or waste my time chasing after someone. One day, I hope to find a relationship, but I am choosing to focus on myself. Periods of being single in your life are essential. These are times when you should find out more about your values and set morals. Don’t jump into something that will be wrong for you. Instead, focus on building your relationships with family and friends. These are the people that matter—the ones who have been there for you since day one. We want the best for ourselves! Self-respect is our priority.

Sabrina Seldon is the Editor-in-chief of Her Campus at MSU. She edits articles, approves pitches and oversees the editing team. Seldon is a junior at Michigan State University majoring in Journalism with minors in Broadcast, Public Relations and Graphic Design. On top of her involvement with Her Campus, she is the Art Director of VIM Magazine at MSU. Seldon was Editor-in-chief of her high school's award-winning yearbook and has articles published through the Spartan Newsroom. Seldon enjoys listening to music, traveling and designing graphics in her free time.