Stuck at home for spring break? Don’t Panic!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Those of us in Michigan know that  “spring” break definitely doesn’t feel like spring. While many are able to escape the grey skies and winter doldrums in exchange for some Florida sunshine or Mexican margaritas and sandy beaches, some of us aren’t so lucky. So before you let your jealousy-fueled winter blues take over and spend your break in bed with Netflix and sulking over your BFF’s Instagrams—don’t! There are plenty of things to do without hopping on a jet (although that would be nice).

First off, find your own adventure. Whether it’s a chilly hike at the nearest state park or heading up to your local ski area, there is always fun to be had in the great outdoors. Or, if you want to escape your hometown, grab a friend and head out on a mini road trip. The Midwest offers some cool cities and charming small towns. Breaking out of the usual sights you see, even if it’s not too far away, can feel like a vacation.

You know that book you’ve been dying to read, or that recipe you’ve wanted to test out, or that hobby you’re dying to get good at? Spring break is the perfect time to accomplish those goals that usually come secondary to school work. Use this time to stop stressing about your math grade or the paper hanging over your head and dive into what you really want to spend time on. 

Speaking of stress relief, it’s important for spring break to be a break. Unless you have the unfortunate, dreaded spring break homework assignment, leave the school stuff where it belongs and invest in some well-deserved R&R. Exercise is a great stress reliever. Hit the gym to see if you can drop in on a yoga class, or beat cabin fever by bundling up for a run outside. If laying on the couch with ice cream and Gossip Girl is more your style, that’s perfectly acceptable too.

Another option is volunteering. There is no greater happiness than what comes from helping others. Call up your local Humane Society or soup kitchen and ask if they could use some extra help (they almost always do!) Taking the focus away from yourself can put things in perspective and leave you feeling new and ready to take on the rest of the semester.

Even though you won’t return a bronze goddess with a neon Panama City Beach tank top, spring break at home can be just as good as anywhere else. 

I am a sophomore at Michigan State University double majoring in apparel and textile design and journalism.
 Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso