Spartans Glowing With Pride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Homecoming week, a week filled with green and white as students across campus prepared for spirited events, all leading up to the homecoming game.  This year the Michigan State University homecoming committee coined “Glow Green, Go White” as the homecoming theme.  To take part, students and alumni alike, swapped out their porch lights for glowing green lights to spread the spirit, while Spartan Stadium radiated green the entire week.

The Michigan State University Alumni Association joined with other organizations across campus to put together a week’s worth of events across campus that encouraged students and alumni alike to take part in the Spartan festivities. 

It all began on Sunday morning, Oct. 16, 2011 with the Spartan Sprint 5k, hosted by the MSU RHA (Residence Hall Association). Other events throughout the week included: decorating and carving pumpkins, hayride tours that provided students with delicious cider and donuts, and Thursday night laser tag Glow Wars.

On Friday afternoon the MSU Dairy store hosted a pep rally at the school rock in preparation for Saturday’s big game. Students got their fair share of games, prizes and of course yummy dairy store ice cream. 

The event that brought Spartans alike together this weekend, was the MSU Homecoming parade. The streets of Grand River Avenue were paved with green and white on Friday night with supporters of the Spartans. 

Every spectator got their fill of the MSU fight song and other impressive performances by the marching band, followed closely behind by a guest appearance from the alumni band.

Several Greek organizations took part in float competitions that were decked from head to toe in green, “white and glow.” Other participants included the Rodeo Club, President Lou Anna K. Simon, the women’s 2011 Big Ten Championship basketball team, the homecoming court, and of course, Sparty himself. 

Apparel and textile design senior, Jordan Huegli, has attended the homecoming parade for the first
time this year and found this year to be everything she was expecting and more. “I just really enjoy the atmosphere at parades, the band was my favorite,” said Huegli.

“It’s just nice to see alumni, current students and hopefully future students all together supporting our school and I loved the theme this year.”

Although, not an official MSU homecoming event, DayGlow, the worlds largest paint party, hosted by the Lansing Center, brought an energetic atmosphere to East Lansing this weekend. With a number of Spartans attending, DayGlow seemed to fit this years homecoming theme of, “Glow Green” perfectly. 

To keep the tradition alive and sprit flowing strong throughout East Lansing, several colleges hosted tailgates prior to Saturday nights game including the College of Education, College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Letters. The MSU Alumni Association also opened the Kellogg Center to all alumni for the Green & White Brunch.

After a week of celebration and spirit, homecoming week came to a happy ending as the Spartans took down the Wisconsin Badgers who were previously undefeated, in a last second play.  The atmosphere around campus was at an all time high as Spartans left the stadium with their heads held high and their green proudly displayed. MSU Homecoming 2011= a huge success. 

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!