This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As the final week of my first college semester quickly approaches, I feel inclined to reflect on my experience. Being at home was not how I expected to start my college career, but looking back ┄ I don’t regret a second of it. Since August, I’ve grown as an individual, made new friends, and learned topics I had never even considered before. Words cannot express my gratitude for my first college semester, but I guess I’ll give it a try. 

Thinking back, I was quite distraught that I wouldn’t be on campus. I felt like I was missing out on opportunities to become the “new” Aditi. I had this idea that when I started college everyone would love me. I was supposed to be prettier, funnier ┄ more intelligent. All that mattered to me was that I would be the “it” girl. Now I realize that I was so concerned about others’ opinions of me that I never felt truly content with myself. 

While I was at home, though, I had time to understand who I wanted to be. In between the incessant Zoom sessions and the never-ending readings, I realized I wanted to be genuine. After many years of molding myself into whatever personality fit my situation best, I learned I wanted to just be myself. 

And so I showed my genuinity. I told people I loved them. I baked cookies every weekend because it’s my favorite thing to do. I realized life is too short to not enjoy every moment. So while I did learn Spanish and economics, I also learned to love myself. Rather than living every day as if it was my last, I loved every day as if it was my first. 

I can’t wait until next semester so I can grow even more. I can’t wait to be a better me.

A Michigan State University student by day, an 8-hour sleeper by night Aditi would best describe herself as a "rather simple enigma." As she embarks on her college journey, Aditi cherishes the simple things in life: a cup of coffee, some pastel post-it notes, and her ever-growing succulent.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.