This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Sarah Domka

Year: Junior

Major: Nursing

Hometown: Brighton, Michigan

Ranking 36 in the top 100 nursing programs in the country, MSU’s College of Nursing works to ensure that it paves the way for students’ excellence. The courses are rigorous, equating to plenty of sleepless nights. But the results are nonetheless extraordinary.  

Why did you decide to become a nurse? I’ve always known I wanted to work in the medical field, but I chose nursing because you get to spend a lot of time interacting with the patients and their families. This allows you to build relationships and you get to witness the difference you are making in their lives.

What are the most rewarding aspects to your major? Nursing school can be very hard and scary, but it’s rewarding when you get to learn a new skill and get to practice on real patients. You get to see how far you’ve come and it feels like all of your hard work is paying off.

Do you eventually want to pursue a higher degree than RN (Registered Nurse)? Yes, my ultimate goal is to get my DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice).

Where would you like to work after graduation and why? I don’t know where I want to work, but I know that I want to work in the emergency department. I work well under pressure, and I think the fast pace of the ER would be a good fit for me. I know there would never be a slow day on the job, and I’d get to see something new everyday.

What outside roles do you partake in to prepare you for your professional future? Outside of school, I work as a care tech for Community Mental Health in Ingham County. I provide in-home care to residents living in group homes. I’m also a student coordinator for college volunteers at Sparrow, which has helped me become more comfortable working in the hospital.

Caffeine lover. Animal activist. New York City dreams.
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian