This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I had two of my biggest life-altering experiences on the same day: the first time I saw the Vagina Monologues and the first time I tried a menstrual cup.

Was it just an ironic (and funny) coincidence that I had my first encounter with trendy period protection on the same day that I saw a play about vaginas? Absolutely not. All of the social media marketing preparing for the worldwide opening nights of the Monologues really got me thinking about the menstrual cup.

To be honest, I was initially just intrigued by the cup. I was a combination of confused about how the cup would work and anxious to try one of my own. Article after article told me how empowering it was to experience the duration of your cycle without a dependence on tampons, pads or panty liners. As I was just coming into my feminist identity, any sort of female empowerment had my attention.

I remember inserting my first menstrual cup, just before leaving for the Monologues. It was an overall awkward and experimental adventure, but since then, I’ve become obsessed. I am a full-on menstrual cup advocate, and I am proud of it.

So here we are: You’re confused about the menstrual cup. You don’t understand how it’s used, and you want to know more. Well, I am eager to educate, empower and convert more of you into cup advocates like myself. Here are a few of the most important directions, tips and fun facts about the menstrual cup that are on a need-to-know-basis. And let me tell you, you need to know.

First, every time you try a new menstrual cup it is important to read the directions. This may sound silly, but each cup is made differently; therefore, each cup may have a different application technique, different duration period or different sanitary procedures. Everything that you will need to know will be in the directions found inside of the box.

Next, it is also crucial that you are comfortable with yourself. Unfortunately, most women don’t even know what their vagina looks like, let alone feels like. Inserting a menstrual cup can feel very invasive if you do not get to know your body. As a woman, it is very important to know about your vagina, whether that be how it looks, feels or even smells. If you are unsure of your body’s natural state, it could become difficult to know if you have an infection, lesion or any other sort of health concern. Sometimes, the first step to becoming comfortable with our bodies is by becoming comfortable with the word “vagina.” Society has trained us to be afraid of this word; when really, it is just describing an important part of our anatomy.

Last, do not be afraid of your blood. The blood from your period is your body’s way of removing materials that it has created for a baby; you just don’t need them that month. That is a beautiful thing! Menstrual blood is not like the gross, scary blood that we see in scenes from scary movies. Do not let anyone tell you that your period is gross. It isn’t.  

Some Tips:

1. The cup will insert much smoother if you are in a squatted position with sufficient lubrication.

2. Do not be afraid of losing the cup inside of you. Most vaginas are only three to four inches deep, so you will be able to retrieve anything that you feel may have gone in too far. If you are having a lot of trouble and you’re getting scared, don’t be afraid to call your doctor.

3. If you have a heavier flow or you’re unsure if you inserted the cup correctly, wear a pany liner to avoid any stains from spotting. If you find that you never have any leaking issues (which you probably won’t), feel free to ditch the liner.

4. It is the easiest to empty and clean your cup while you are in the shower. If you shower every morning, use this time to empty it before you start your day.

5. When you are nearing the end of your cycle, you will find that the cup will not collect as much blood as it did during your first few days. It may be easier to switch over to a tampon or pad for these last few hours, but it is completely up to you.

Fun Facts:

1. Most menstrual cups can be worn between 8-12 hours. It is not recommended to wear a tampon for more than 4-6 hours. The cup is so much more convenient, especially for sleeping!

2. Even though the menstrual cup looks big and scary, you cannot feel it when it is in you! At. All.

3. Think about how many tampons you use during your average period. Now multiply that number by 12. That’s how many tampons you are using and then throwing away every year. If you purchase a reusable menstrual cup like the Diva Cup (I highly recommend it), you are working wonders for the environment. The Diva Cup can be reused for up to three years; that is a lot less tampons sitting in landfill.

4. An average box of tampons costs around $7. You use at least one box per month; that is $84 in tampons per year. After three years you are spending $253. A Diva Cup lasts three years, on average, and costs $30. By investing in a Diva Cup, you are saving $54 per year and $222 every three years. That’s huge!   

5. While you might think that the cup would be covered in blood when you remove it, it is actually quite clean when you take it out. All of the blood falls right into the cups and stays there. No mess.

Get out to the store, purchase a menstrual cup and try it out! You know you want to. I promise that it will make you feel like an empowered woman with newfound ownership and comfortability with her body (and way more money in her bank account).

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian