Resolutions Re-cap: Eight Weeks into the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s almost unbelievable to think that the first two months of the year have nearly passed.  Eight weeks in and second-semester, junior-year has certainly proven to be the most difficult.  Trying to handle school, clubs, work, my social life and keeping true to my resolutions makes me feel like a juggling bear wearing one rollerblade: a little unbalanced.  Still, I made a promise to myself and to the HCMSU readers that I would try my best in reaching my goals and I really don’t like breaking promises.  

As I look over the status of my resolutions and to help make this endeavor a slightly easier one, I’ve come up with some techniques that hopefully will be of some help to all of us.

Eat healthier.

This one always gets to me because I know exactly what I should and shouldn’t be eating – and how much for that matter- but temptation continues to get the best of me.  I thought after the holiday season passed it would be much easier to eat right but we all know that’s not the case, there is always something: birthdays, celebratory dinners, Super Bowl parties, girls’ night, Grammy parties.  I think you get the idea.  The point is, there is always going to be some special occasion in which your friends and family are going to make delicious (and probably unhealthy) foods and the temptation is often too much to handle.  

So how am I going to deal with this constant teasing?  I’ve decided that the best way is to plan.  Now, this overlaps with my goal to be more organized and I think that’s because it is the most important.  When I know I have a dinner party or other event one night, I try to eat healthy, filling foods during the day so not to overeat when I go out.  Another way to plan is to volunteer to bring a healthy dish to the party so you’ll have something to eat without feeling guilty.

Be more adventurous/outgoing.

I’m still struggling to find the adventure-seeker within but I feel it’s because I don’t know where to begin to look.  I’ve talked to some friends about trying new things like Hot Yoga, so I guess that’s a start.  Still, I want to do something more exciting and different (always open for suggestions!) 

However, I do feel confident that I am becoming more outgoing.  I think part of this has to do with growing up and maturing, having to meet people for work and clubs and just gaining more confidence in myself, so that’s certainly a plus!

Be more organized, run a half-marathon, 4.0 spring semester.

Somehow I feel that these three overlap in every aspect.  Organizing my life allows me to schedule time to fit in workouts and study more.  I am able to track my progress during my runs so I can compare to the last and continue to set new goals for myself.  Also, I’m starting to feel like a “real runner” in the sense that afterwards I don’t want to crawl up in a ball but I have an extra endorphin high which allows me to be more productive, creative and exciting.  It truly is a good feeling.

I’m not saying I am ready to win a gold medal but I have certainly seen improvements in my 5k-time as well as continued to add more and more distance to my runs.  Those little victories are great motivation to keep going.

I think the idea of little victories is what I’ve taken most from this experience so far, set attainable goals and grow from there.  It is easy to get frustrated when you don’t reach your goal but by making weekly or even daily goals they are much more manageable.  Hopefully our HCMSU readers are learning and growing from this like I know I am.

Tina Berisha is a senior at Michigan State University.  She is currently interning at City Pulse, a local alternative weekly, as a reporting intern. Tina is also a communcations/marketing intern with the Michigan Recreation and Park Association. When asked what she wants to with her life, Tina often changes her mind but one thing remains the same- she wants to help people in her surrounding community.
Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!