Proof That Your College Best Friends Are Actually Your Soulmates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

College is a time for growth. It’s a time to be selfish and figure out exactly who you are and where you want to go. The days can be hectic, but the nights can be the best times of our lives. There’s so much stress around picking majors, internship interviews and finishing insane amounts of homework. But amidst the hustle and bustle, you have to stop and think about who has been by your side through the good, the bad and the fugly: your best friends. That makes them soulmate-worthy don’t you think?

1. A night out without them has never been a thing, isn’t a thing, and never will be a thing.

Things just wouldn’t be the same. Who would you get ready with? Who would else could you complain to about having nothing to wear while standing in the middle of a pile full of clothes? You raid each other’s closets for an hour only to put the first outfit tried back on. You save each other from talking to guys you have no interest in and rehash the whole night the next morning over frosted flakes. They are your wing women and you are like a lost puppy without them.

2. 99% of your Facebook pictures contain them.

I’m sure your Great Aunt and high school teacher feel like they know your best friends, considering how often they probably show up on their news feed. How are you supposed to take pictures without them? It just doesn’t feel natural. Especially since each of you have your designated spot in the group photo. You spend forever picking out who looks the best, then it becomes a race to see who can “insta” first.

3. They don’t judge your emotions at 6 p.m. or 4 a.m.

They can tell what you are thinking just by looking at your face for two seconds. They are always armed and ready with tissues and chocolate ready to make you laugh no matter what. And at the end of the day (or night or morning), they can appreciate your diva antics and actually even miss it when you’re not around.

4. Actually, every time you’re with them is a judgment-free zone.

They don’t make fun of you for being dumb when you say whatever is on your mind, or when you’re dancing around in your towel singing 5 Seconds of Summer. They understand how necessary it is for you to be able to act like a complete idiot around them. Oh and you trust them 100% with the worst pictures of you at the worst of times.

5. Your guilty pleasures become a shared expereience.

They know your favorite candy and will support you when you choose to blow your paycheck at Lululemon. They will even suffer through god awful music just to put a smile on your face. Eventually all of your guilty pleasures blend together and you all end up sitting on the floor eating junk food at 4 a.m. and enjoying every second of it.

6. They listen to your B.S. drama about anything and everything.

No matter if it’s a new boy or a boy you’ve known for 5 years; whatever happened with whatsherface last night or the professor that called you out in front of the class that day, they listen with the intention of helping and not just pretending to care. Eventually they join in and suddenly the guy who broke your heart is the guy they are complaining about. Your emotions are theirs and vice versa. No matter the time of night or morning you can always crawl in their bed to cry, scream, or vent about whatever is on your mind.

7. You literally can’t make life decisions without them.

This includes everything from answering texts to deciding whether or not to switch your major. This also prevents you from getting in fights that last more than 20 minutes because you have something important to tell them. If something is bothering you and you don’t tell them, they know. Your face is like a picture to them and it is for sure worth at least a thousand words. They know you better than you know yourself and thinking about making a decision that could impact your life without them… ‘’You just can’t even.”

8. All of your stories involve them, seriously all of them.

You’ve been cuddling with them on your futon, crying with them in the bathroom, dancing on elevated surfaces and laughing at things that no one else would ever find funny. Basically, when you tell your friends back home about that one night every single one of those “one nights” contains them. And they most definitely get annoyed and confused whether or not you can even go to the ladies room without them.

9. Thinking about leaving them for break literally makes you cry.

Sure, you need to go home, give your bank account some TLC, hang out with your mom and actually get a decent amount of sleep. But, being without them for more than two days literally makes tears emerge from your eyes. Whose closet are you going to raid? Who is going to order food with you at 2 a.m.? Who is going to reassure you that you are a diva and no guy will ever be good enough for you? Then you realize how kickass next year is going to be and everything gets better all over again. College just wouldn’t be the same without them.

My name is Shelby, I am an Advertising major pursuing minors in both PR and Graphic Design. I love being around people and experiencing new cultures, ideas, and beliefs. Some of my best memories here at MSU are spent with my best friends. My all time favorite quote is Maya Angelou's "I've learned people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber