This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Having plants in your dorm room can be a great way to decorate your space. They brighten up your room and create a relaxing aesthetic. Check out this list to help you figure out what plants are right for your room!

Snake Plant

Snake plants are very low maintenance. They don’t need to be watered often and they survive well in low light. This plant is great for beginners and is easy to maintain!

Philodendron

Philodendrons can be placed in low-light areas, but they thrive in brighter atmospheres. If your dorm room has a lot of light, this plant would be great! Although bright light isn’t always necessary for it to survive. These plants only need to be watered every 1-2 weeks. A bonus is that they can create awesome vines!

Succulents

Succulents need to be in the light most of the day, so setting them near a window would be sufficient. It’s important to not have the succulent in bright sunlight for too long, because your plant might end up sunburnt. Succulents vary when they need to be watered. Some people suggest letting the soil completely dry out, whereas others might say to water once a week. It all depends on your succulent! These plants are affordable and come in many different variations.

Aloe Vera

Aloe is a great plant for the dorm room because not only does it look cool, it also can be used for practical purposes! You can water your aloe plant sparingly, as it’s pretty low maintenance. Aloe plants need a good amount of bright light for a few hours every day, but make sure you don’t leave it in a sunny windowsill for too long! This plant can get sunburned!

Spider Plant

Spider plants are awesome! They are really true to the name. This plant needs to be watered around once a week. Spider plants can survive in low-light areas, but they prefer to be in bright indirect light. This is where they thrive the most!

Plants are a great addition to any dorm room. It’s super satisfying to watch them grow and to get a new sprout. Plus, they are a great way to brighten your mood whenever school has you down!

Rayna is a junior in the School of Journalism. Her focus is in environment, science and health reporting, as well as health promotions. Rayna likes hiking, coffee, books, art, and plants.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.