My First Impression of The 1975’s Sophomore Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I remember the first time I heard The 1975 on the radio. At the time, the beat of their hit song “Chocolate” seemed just like any other song on the radio. I then checked out more singles by the band, and my obsession continued from there. A year later, I had their entire first album, The 1975, memorized and on-repeat constantly. I had seen them live at the Fillmore and decided that I not only wanted to marry Matt Healy (the lead singer), but I was also a fangirl.

After my long-awaited anticipation, they have finally released their follow-up sophomore album with a title that gives me goosebumps: I Like It When You Sleep, You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware. It has a total of 17 tracks and 2 bonus tracks, if you pick up the Target addition. Here’s a review of my favorite tracks:

Track 1: “The 1975”

It has a similar intro to their previous album that incorporates some similar lyrics. The intro accentuates the use of silence and multiple background voices harmonizing. It’s a beautiful, almost haunting, intro to the album with a little reminder of their roots.

Track 2: “Love Me”

Trust me, Matt Healy, I already love you! “Love Me” was one of the first singles released off of the album. It is a great, upbeat song that reminds me of a lot of popular 80’s music. I think it starts the album off on the right foot.

Track 3: “UGH!”

Ugh… I love this song. Similar sound to “Love Me” with the whole 80’s funky sound. Matty’s vocals are beautiful in this, and it definitely has a bit of spunk.

Track 4: “A Change Of Heart”

For the past few months, I have been listening to this song on a crappy video someone took at one of the concerts and uploaded to YouTube. But I love everything about it; it is definitely a change of pace, compared to the first two songs. It is filled with raw emotion. Also, several of the lyrics remind me of the popular single, “Robbers” from their first album.

Track 10: “Somebody Else”

This song perfectly describes the emotions associated with someone that you once loved now being involved with somebody else. The chorus will be stuck in your head several days from now. The song makes the pain associated with a breakup sound beautiful, and that in itself is a hard thing to do.

Track 11: “Loving Someone”

This is my personal favorite song off of the new album. The high-pitched voice in the intro caught my attention right off the bat. Matt actually raps a large portion of the song, which is a side of his vocals that most of us fans haven’t heard before. There are also a lot of hidden messages in the song, about how pop culture and media have shaped today’s youth. The band has been known to have hidden messages about society and media in their songs.

Track 12:  “I Like It When You Sleep, You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It”

This song had to be good; I mean, it’s the name of the album. It has a great musical introduction, and Matty’s voice in the middle is so raw and organic. It definitely proves that a song doesn’t need heavy lyrics (or even a chorus, for that matter) to have something beautiful come together.

Track 13: “The Sound”

This song is highly juxtaposed with the rest of the album. It has more of a pop flair to it, but doesn’t sound out of place. The chorus is upbeat and fun. Check out the music video; the band shows how they deal with any hate thrown their way.

I applaud The 1975 on their new album! It has exceeded my very high expectations. This new album is the perfect combination of instrumentals and vocals. The band has also officially announced the dates of their summer tour. I already have my tickets to the Rochester Hills Show. Matt Healy, you bet I will be screaming your name from my lawn seats!

A Freshman at Michigan State University. Enjoys 90's movies, rock alternative music, and reading books of all kinds. Apart of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and studies Journalism. Can be found running around campus, eating heaps of food at the Caf, or cheering my Spartans on at Spartan Football Stadium!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian