coronavirus medical gear
coronavirus medical gear
Her Campus Media
Culture > News

MSU Students Say “Spartans Will” with the Spartan Mask Initiative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

This summer, many opportunities for volunteering and internships have been canceled for students at Michigan State. However, Anvita Suneja and Shivam Chandra are saying #SpartansWill, taking the lead as the co-founders of the Spartan Mask Initiative. 

Anvita Suneja is a junior at Lyman Briggs College, majoring in neuroscience with a minor in entrepreneurship innovation on the social innovation track. Shivam Chandra is also a junior, majoring in human biology and minoring in bioethics. 

Why did you choose to participate in the Spartan Mask Initiative and who are you partnered with? 

Shivam: I chose to participate in the Spartan Mask Initiative to make a difference in the lives of the frontline workers. Currently, front line workers are reusing KN95 masks for weeks, with our help nurses can work in a healthy environment, giving more assurance they can return to their families safely at night due to having proper PPE.

Anvita: We are working with the Michigan Indian American Community Service group and developed our own branch of the Mask Initiative called the Spartan Mask Initiative. After seeing countless news articles of physicians and frontline workers without proper PPE and seeing my sister also risking her life while working on a COVID floor it was really hard for me to sit still and not do anything to help. Like Shivam said, front line workers in nursing homes were using the same mask for weeks on end which can make them really sick and further spread the virus. What makes the mask initiative unique is that it’s providing substantial masks that truly protect the frontline worker while they’re fulfilling their duty as healthcare providers. As humans we have an innate motivation to help others through our actions, so choosing to work with the Michigan Indian American Community Service group to develop the Spartan Mask Initiative to help out our frontline workers was a no-brainer! 

What is the mission of your group? 

Shivam: SUPPORT important frontline workers in Detroit in nursing homes. SPREAD our goals across the state so frontline workers are protected with PPE. CONTRIBUTE to raise as much funding as possible for KN-95 masks. 

Anvita: We also are determined to help flatten the curve through our efforts as well as inspire and encourage others to help out with the initiative while staying at home! It’s amazing to see the power of social media in action!

How did you come up with the idea/what inspired you to take action? 

Shivam: It was devastating to see the conditions that nurses in Detroit were dealing with on a daily basis. They were sacrificing their own life with a lack of PPE to help others. As a student who wishes to work in the medical industry, I knew I had the determination to raise funds and had access to a huge community to ask for donations from. 

Anvita: For me, after seeing the stress and emotional toll it took on my sister to work on a COVID floor, I couldn’t imagine how the hard-working frontliners in nursing homes were feeling since they’re receiving even less PPE than general hospitals. In nursing homes, viruses and germs spread much faster since residents are in such close quarters, and unfortunately with COVID-19 taking a large toll on a more geriatric population, nursing homes are being hit pretty badly with the virus. Growing up during the age of the social media boom, we’re so lucky to be well-versed with spreading and receiving information over multiple platforms (Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) so why not use this skill for good? When we first got this idea started we had no clue that we would have raised over 2500 in just over a week with over 80 members, and to be honest we’re just getting started! As a student on the pre-medical track we study how viruses spread, but what we don’t study is the emotional toll it takes on healthcare providers when pandemics happen. When disaster strikes, as students who aspire to be healthcare providers it’s our duty to develop the skills of empathy and perseverance so we can not only use them in the future with our patients but in the present to aide our communities and further sharpen these skills. What inspired me during this process was the entire spartan community and how so many people have been stepping up and taking ownership of their actions within this organization.

How can people contribute from home? 

Shivam: People can help SMI by donating to our go-fund-me page or fellow Spartans can join our movement to raise funds for KN95 masks.

Anvita: We’re so proud and thankful for our large group so far, but of course, the more the merrier! We’ll be hosting some fun events such as home walk-a-thons, a video game tournament and so much more! Be sure to follow-us on our Instagram @spartanmaskinitiative to keep up with our latest updates and learn more about how you can help out with the initiative. As Shivam said, we have a GoFundMe link and you can also donate on Venmo @SpartanMaskInitiative. 

Link to donate: http://gf.me/u/xz93kq  

Link to join: https://forms.gle/x4rqBFscV65SovmY6  

We are so thankful for the entire Spartan Mask Initiative group of over 80 members and our supervisor Dr. Anvita Saini. She has truly inspired us with her dedication, enthusiasm, and encouragement to start this initiative and help us make a difference. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to the initiative so far: we will be able to help over 500 healthcare professionals with your generous donations.

Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!