More Girls Are Joining Sororities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Michigan State University sorority recruitment had the number of girls going through the recruitment process increase by 24.6 percent annually since 2010.

Kelly Thomas, a therapist at East Lansing’s Comprehensive Psychological Services with a Master of Social Work from the University of Michigan, said that she believes this increase is due to girls wanting to feel a sense of belonging once they come to college.

“Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs explain that a person has to meet their basic needs first, which is receiving your basic food and water,” Thomas said. “Once those needs are all met, a person moves up to a higher level on the hierarchy and that is to feel love and belongingness.”

Thomas added that the belongingness they receive from sororities help to make a lot of girls’ transitions to college much easier. She said that the transition creates insecurities and belonging to a group makes a lot of these insecurities go away.

“I can’t stress enough that the biggest positive that comes out of social organizations, such as sororities, is allowing students to feel that they belong to something and boosting their self esteem in the process,” Thomas said.

Along with that initial self-esteem booster, Katie Osentoski, Michigan State University junior and Panhellenic Council’s vice president of internal recruitment, said that she personally believes, girls urge other Michigan State University girls to go through recruitment.

“People want to join people, not just an organization with letters,” Osentoski said. “Women in houses show the opportunities they are given, the changes they have made within themselves, and the fun they are having with other students. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of something like that?”

Osentoski said that women are going back to their friends in high school and explaining all of the positive experiences that they have had in Greek life, allowing graduating seniors and Michigan State University freshmen to want to join and get the same experiences.

On top of all of that, Osentoski said that Michigan State University is a huge school and the Greek system absolutely makes it smaller. By joining a chapter, she said that you could make friends with girls within your house. But she added that you could also join committees and attend Greek events to meet women from other houses as well, making even more friends in the process.

Laura Stanley, Michigan State University sophomore and initiated member of Chi Omega Sorority, said that she always knew that she wanted to go through recruitment because she wanted to be a part of a group on campus and make new friends at the same time.

Stanley said, “I wasn’t sure if I was going to end up sticking with it, at first, but once I went through recruitment and fell in love with my house, I knew I wanted to

pledge and be initiated as a Chi Omega.”

Stanley added that it was by far one of the best decisions she has ever made and it has been a huge part of her experience here at Michigan State University.

Osentoski said that the leadership opportunities, skills, philanthropic opportunities, and best friends she has gained were something that she never expected, while being in her house. However, she said that she couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

As for recruitment next fall, Osentoski said that they are conducting several webinars to teach potential new members about recruitment, as well as Greek life.

She said that they have even sent out posters to the top filter high schools, advertising for Michigan State University Panhellenic Recruitment.

Osentoski said, “This upcoming year, recruitment is later in September, allowing for more time to advertise and get more people on campus aware of the benefits of joining Greek life.”

Osentoski said that the Greek barbeque that will take place next fall would also be very beneficial for people considering Greek life.

“It’s fun seeing all of the girls that go through recruitment each year find a house where they belong, will grow, and change for the better as an individual,” Osentoski said.

Osentoski added that there would be another house on campus for girls to choose from. She said that the 14th chapter on campus, Alpha Xi Delta, would be joining Michigan State University next fall.

“This is a further opportunity for women of all ages to get involved, from freshmen to seniors,” Osentoski said. “We are very excited to see them come.”

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis