mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Michigan General Election Proposals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Michigan General Election Proposals

By Tia Trudgeon

Tags: VOTING, ELECTIONS, BALLOT, MICHIGAN, HCMSU, MSU,

Voting in the United States is not only a right but a privilege. As the November general election approaches, it is important as American citizens to be registered to vote and know what’s on the ballot. The last day to register to vote in Michigan is October 9, and can be done through mail or in person by submitting a completed State of Michigan Voter Registration Application to your city or township clerk. If you’re already registered to vote but are unsure of where to go to cast your ballot, you can find out here

After registering, knowing who and what you’re voting for is critical. Here are the proposals that will appear on the November ballot:

Proposal 1: Legalize Recreational Marijuana

This proposal would treat the use of marijuana like alcohol. Should this pass, individuals 21 and over may possess and use marijuana through state-licensed retailers. Should an individual choose to grow their own, this proposal would allow them up to 12 plants for personal consumption. This would also impose a 10-ounce limit for marijuana kept at home, and any more than 2.5 ounces will have to be kept in a locked container. Marijuana sales are subject to a 10% excise tax, which will benefit clinical trials, schools, roads and municipalities where dispensaries are located. Democrat Gretchen Whitmer and Libertarian Bill Gelineau are in support of this proposal.

Proposal 2: Establish an Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission

Shall this proposal be adopted, the authority to draw Congressional and State Legislative district lines will be transferred from the Legislature and Governor to the Independent Commission. Proposal 2 would amend Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 of Article IV, Sections 1, 2, and 4 of Article V, and Sections 1 and 4 of Article VI of the Michigan Constitution. Thirteen commissioners will be randomly selected from a pool of registered voters, and consist of four members who self-identify with each of the two major political parties, and five non-affiliated, independent members. Current and former partisan elected officials, lobbyists, party officers and their employees are not eligible to serve.

Proposal 3: Voting Rights Policies Initiative

The Voting Rights Policies Initiative would amend Section 4 of Article II of the state constitution. If adopted, qualified citizens will be allowed the following rights: to vote a secret ballot, for military and overseas voters to be send a ballot 45 days before the election, to vote straight party on all partisan general election ballots, to be automatically registered to vote when obtaining a driver’s license, to register to vote by mail, to register to vote in person at any time, to vote an absentee ballot by mail or in person without giving a reason, and to have election results audited to ensure the accuracy of the election. This initiative is lead by the group Promote the Vote.