Member Spotlight: Selvedina Velic ’20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Selvedina Velic

Year: Freshman

Major: Neuroscience and Psychology

Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan

When did you join Her Campus at MSU? I joined HC this year, my freshman year, during first semester.

What is your favorite thing about HC MSU? My favorite thing about HC, aside from writing and all of the fun events, is how welcoming the group is. It can be a little nerve-racking joining a group, but everyone here is so down to earth and we get along effortlessly. It’s great being a part of something where you feel so comfortable.

What’s your favorite article you’ve written for HC MSU? My favorite article I’ve written for HC is “Immigrants Make America Great.” Being an immigrant myself, this topic is one that I feel very strongly about, and my ultimate goal in writing articles like this is to educate people about the contributions immigrants bring to this country. Too many of us need to stop seeing immigration as a threat, in order to perceive it as what it really is: an opportunity. I hope to shine a light on this with more articles.  

If you had to change your major, what would you change it to? I’m not sure — it was hard enough deciding the first time. Maybe chemistry.

If you won the lottery, what would you do first? That’s a lot of money — it’s actually kind of scary… I can’t even trust myself to spend wisely now. But if I won the lottery, the first thing I’d do is buy my brother his dream car. I want him to be happy because he means the world to me, and he loves cars so that’s a no-brainer.

What is your dream job? Frankly, I don’t have a dream job. If I had to pick one, it would probably be owning a business with my best friend. She’s my source of happiness, and we are absolutely unstoppable when we put our minds together. It’d be interesting for sure.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? The top two destinations on my bucket list are Costa Rica and Italy. Costa Rica’s beauty fascinates me, and I love everything about Italy from the language to the food.  

If you could trade places with any celebrity, who would you trade places with? Rihanna — or her best friend, so I could hang out with Rihanna. I love the way she carries herself and her bada** personality. Truly iconic.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian