Style

Meet the Fashion Stylist That Is Dressing All of Your Favorite Celebs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Bella Hadid has been consistently throned as the queen of the “model-off-duty” look. And though her person style has heavy influences on her outfits, a majority of her most iconic looks are created by a stylist. After all, it’s doubtful to believe that with back to back shows and ad campaigns that any top model would find time to shop and style her own clothes. So who seems to be behind all of the “must-have” headlines? 

Mimi Cuttrell is a 29-year-old fashion stylist based out of New York City. If you’re not familiar with Cuttrell, you may be familiar with her notable client base- Hadid sisters, Ariana Grande, Priyanka Chopra, Normani, and most recently, Dixie D’Amelio and Addison Rae. So, how did this stylist go from up-and-coming to top-tier so quickly? 

In an interview with British Vouge, Cuttrell explained her styling process with the Hadid’s, as well as her approach to the styling industry. “I entered this industry associating the word ‘styling’ with the glamour and excitement of a red-carpet event,” said Cuttrell. “However, this notion has evolved over time. I find that sometimes the best fashion can happen as street style looks — the category can sometimes be extremely underrated.”

And she was right, as both of the Hadid’s street style looks have millions of Pinterest Boards surrounding street style. Cuttrell has made a name for herself by becoming a pioneer in one of the most overlooked areas of fashion. A supermodels run to the grocery store gathers more paparazzi camera clicks than a classic red carpet look (with the exception of the MET Gala, of course). 

So, how does such a busy and high-profile stylist assist their clients when she’s not around- nonetheless- in a different timezone? Cuttrells answer: Facetime. In the same British Vogue interview she says, “ I make myself available whether that is sending pictures or FaceTiming for any last-minute changes and updates.” Ah yes, I would too if it was a D’amelio or Grande at the other end of that 2 a.m. phone call.

In five years, Mimi Cuttrell has not only broken into, but dominated one of the most competitive industries. She was able to find a sweet spot in her work, dissect it, and elevate its importance in the styling world. 

If you’re interested in learning more about Mimi Cuttrell, make sure to follow her on Instagram: @mimicuttrell.

Alexia is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying Creative Advertsing with a minor in Public Relations. She dreams of pursuing a career within the fashion industry after her graduation in 2023.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.