This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Everyone has a product that they always have on hand, and for me that’s witch hazel healing salve. It serves as a natural remedy for anything from cuts to bug bites to acne. Witch hazel itself has many benefits: it relieves inflammation, tightens pores, and cleanses your skin of excess oil. While there are various places you can purchase this product from, making it yourself is simpler and allows you to tailor it to your specific needs. 

What ingredients you decide to use can vary, but my salve typically consists mainly of witch hazel, coconut oil, beeswax, and essential oils. To explain it simply, you melt down the coconut oil and beeswax then mix in the witch hazel along with any essential oils. Pour the mixture into the container you’re storing the salve in and let it cool. 

Personally, when adding essential oils I use either lavender, lemon, orange or tea tree oil. 

• Lavender essential oil can kill bacteria which can both prevent and heal acne breakouts. It unclogs pores and reduces inflammation. An added benefit is its ability to relieve stress and anxiety. 

• Lemon essential oil is known for purifying properties and for its ability to relieve headaches. 

• Orange essential oil is effective in reducing pain and inflammation as well as treating acne. Furthermore, it’s a mood booster and stress reliever. 

• Tea tree essential oil has cleansing properties that allow it to effectively kill bacteria. This oil is great for healing wounds as well as treating blemishes. 

While the essential oils you can add have benefits, so do the base ingredients. 

• Witch hazel helps to relieve inflammation, reduce irritation, and tightens pores. Making sure the alcohol content isn’t too high when choosing which witch hazel to use. 

• Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties, reduces inflammation, and can keep your skin hydrated. 

• Beeswax has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It also has protective properties as well as healing properties. It can create a barrier between the skin and outside environment without clogging pores. It’s especially beneficial for those with acne, dry skin, eczema, and stretch marks. 

Learning how to make witch hazel salve is easy and will help you have healthier skin. Finding the mix that is right for you is an important first step. You can tweak the base mix and add in anything from essential oils to honey to aloe in order to get the results you want. When applying, make sure to use a q tip, tissue, or wash cloth to apply a small layer to the area that is in need. The salve will work its magic in no time and any blemishes or dryness will disappear.

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.