Let’s Talk Islamophobia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Let’s talk. Let’s talk about the irrational fear of Muslims instilled among Americans. Let’s talk about the terrorist attack that happened on Sept. 11, 2001 to skyrocket the level of apprehension among American citizens about Muslims living in their country — their teachers, their neighbors, their doctors, their own friends. Let’s talk about the terrorist attack that happened on April 15, 2013 in Boston that planted a sense of pride in those who exclaimed, “I bet he/she was a Muslim” before a suspect was even known, let alone their religion.

Let’s talk about how their fear of us shifted into our fear of them — about how my heart races when I stop at the gas station on my way to the mosque because I am wearing a hijab, and that brings out hate in some people. Let’s talk about Rabeeya Khan, Soha Salama, Fariha Nizam, Yasmin Seweid and all of the other Muslim women who have been attacked solely because of their religion.

Now let’s talk about how every religion has extremists. Let’s talk about how very few people, if any, feel intimidated when they see someone wearing a cross on their necklace. On July 20, 2012, James Holmes killed twelve people and injured 70 in a movie theatre shooting, but no one was concerned about his religion, as long as he wasn’t Muslim. What about Robert Dear, who was “doing God’s work” when he perpetrated a mass shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic in November of 2015?

Even with eyes half closed, it is clear to see that terrorism is not directly linked to religion. The pastor you listen to every Sunday could just as easily be the perpetrator of a terror attack as the imam who leads my prayers.

Let’s talk about how children are raised to believe Muslims are bad people — how they observe the hate that those around them spew on Islam. Xenophobia is not hereditary. Hate is not hereditary.

There are over 20,000 Muslim physicians in America. So to those who dread the religion without reason: How wonderful is it that the people you harrass are the same people providing care for your mothers, fathers, children and grandparents — sometimes even saving their lives? But nearly half of those Muslim doctors have experienced some kind of religious discrimination at work, and nearly 10 percent of their patients refused care, simply because they are Muslim. Over 5,800 members of the U.S. military self-identify as Muslims. Seventy-five percent of American Muslims reported donating to charities.

So let’s talk about the tale of a nation that proudly pledges “life, liberty and justice for all,” but is closing its doors to Muslim countries. The “land of the free” and the “home of the brave” — where some of its bravest soldiers are of Muslim faith, but some of its citizens abuse their Muslim neighbors and call it bravery.

I’m all ears.

Photo courtesy of Pexels 

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian