This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Ever wondered what constitutes a wholesome vegan and vegetarian diet? In order to come to a proper answer, we should consider one of the major concerns that doctors associate with most plant-based or vegetarian diets: the fact that many vegans or vegetarians don’t get as much protein they need in order to properly nourish their bodies. Well, don’t concern yourself too much if you’re a vegan or vegetarian, I’ll try to provide some examples of high protein plant-based foods that are animal friendly.

Tofu or Edamame:

Both these proteins originate from soybeans, and they are well known for being nutritionist-recommended since they provide your body with all the essential amino acids, as well as iron and calcium, and also  has around 10-19 grams of protein per serving (100 grams). Tofu and edamame are indeed a great way to sneak in more protein into your diet, while still sticking to a vegetarian or vegan meal plan.

Chickpeas and Beans:

Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are legumes that are usually found in vegan or vegetarian meals due to their especially high content of protein; they contain around 15 grams of protein per 240ml of cooked chickpeas. 

They are also a rich source of complex carbohydrates, including fiber, iron, folate, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, and several plant compounds, which makes this food not only animal friendly, but also Keto friendly if you are limiting your carb intake.

Spelt and Teff:

What are they? These are types of grains like barley, sorghum and Farro. Although Spelt is a grain that contains gluten, the gluten-free alternative would then be Teff. 

Spelt and Teff will provide you with 10-11 grams of protein per 240ml, making these grains the better alternative for other grain sources you may already incorporate into your diet, but by substituting some ingredients for Spelt or Teff, you are sure to be upping your protein intake that come from any other type of grain you are already consuming.

Finally, I think that the important take-away from this list— or any other nutritional articles you might read, is to remember to stay healthy no matter what. If you are thinking about transitioning into a vegan or vegetarian diet, please be sure to contact your doctor or healthcare provider in order to properly engage with these kinds of diets. Additionally, I would like to point out that these diets are an excellent alternative to processed meat we generally consume, and by adopting a plant-based diet, you are engaging in acts of kindness towards the animal kingdom while also being ecologically responsible.

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I am a senior at Michigan State University, Political Science-Prelaw major; and I intend to go to law school after graduating from MSU.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.