Jessica Pederson ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Jessica Pedersen

Graduation Year: May 2014

Major: Journalism, Concentration in Editorial Reporting, Minor in Women’s and Gender Studies and Specialization in Public Relations. Pre-law.

Describe a few ways you have worked toward your future goals:

I personally am a “ten-year-plan” kind of person, so I feel like every day is an opportunity to prepare for the future. However, I also think it’s important to remember that live in the present and to experience everything you can in the place you’re at. I’d say the biggest thing I’ve done to prepare for the future is to really take advantage of all of the opportunities MSU has offered me.  I know I want a future dedicated to helping others, so I prepare by using every day as an opportunity to meet and learn about new people. Being a Resident Assistant in West Circle has really helped me understand how to use resources and skills to help guide and educate my peers. Even more important, I try to learn something new from everybody I meet- everybody has a story and a valuable perspective to share.

What do you think has benefited you most? Why?

There have been so many opportunities that I have benefitted from. Being a member of the 2013-2014 Homecoming Court was an absolutely incredible opportunity and I learned so much from it. Being able to represent the university made me realize what it really meant to be part of the Spartan family, and meeting alumni that are truly contributing to the common good reminded me of what’s possible. I also had an amazing internship with the U.S. Department of Justice this past summer that really helped shape my career goals and showed me the many opportunities that are available for people who want to use their skills and knowledge to really benefit a greater cause.

What things do you do to get involved with campus?

I’ve done a whole host of things on campus. Currently, I’m a 3rd year RA in West Circle and I have a job at the admissions office where I help prospective Spartans and their families with their application processes. I also am the co-founder and vice president of the student organization MSU Women’s Alliance, a group that seeks to bring people together over women’s issues. I was also on Homecoming Court this year. Previously, I’ve participated in the Vagina Monologues, worked for MSU’s yearbook (Red Cedar Log), was involved with various committees within the Residence Education and Housing Services department, and I volunteered with the Refuge Development Center in Lansing.

How can others get involved in these activities?

If anybody is interested in any of the things I participate in, they should definitely get in contact with the group! We are always looking for great RA applicants, and MSU Women’s Alliance is always open for new members with fresh perspectives. Also, if anybody is interested in joining any group, my advice would be to step out of your comfort zone and just do it! Make the first step and send that email or go to the first meeting. It is so worth the experience and the new people you’ll meet.

What do you hope to inspire people with what you have learned and experienced?

If anybody is inspired by my story, I hope it shows them that “life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” I’m a pretty reserved and quiet person, but I’ve learned the most from experiences that I had to push myself in. Leadership positions and other activities that are public, like Homecoming Court, are something I am not always naturally drawn to, but they have been my absolute favorite. You don’t need to be the loudest person in the room to make a difference!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I’m going to law school in the fall, so I see myself advocating for underrepresented populations and helping people that may not be able to find help elsewhere. I know I’ll be working on making a difference.

Favorite inspirational quote?

“The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.”- Steve Jobs.

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis