Jessica Hauda ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Jessica Hauda

Major: Bio Systems with a concentration in Biomedical

Year: Freshman

Hometown: McLean, Virgina

What instrument do you play? I play in the violin.

How long have you been playing the violin? I have been playing since the third grade.

Special moment: When I was a senior in high school, we got to go to Carnegie Hall, one of the most prestigious musical halls in the world. Also, when I was a sophomore, we got to go to Rome, where we played for a TV show and a school out there.

What is the most challenging part about playing the violin? Being able to get your fingers in a certain place very quickly and accurately.

How did you prepare to join an on-campus orchestra? I had an audition, and prior to the audition, I was given six excerpts from the first song that we performed in our first concert. I spent a lot of time practicing.

What orchestra are you a part of on campus? I am a member of the Michigan State Concert Orchestra

Where do your orchestra concerts take place? Our Concerts take place in Fairchild Theater near Farm Lane.

How long do you spend in preparation for a concert? We spend usually a month or two preparing. Our first concert consisted of only one song, but it was 19 pages long. At our next concert, we will be playing four songs that are shorter.

Favorite song or composer to play? I play everything; I can make a lot of different covers. I have perfect pitch, which means I can listen to a song on the radio and then play it on any instrument that I know how to use.

How often do you spend practicing? Anywhere from 2-5 hours a day.

What’s your favorite part of being in the orchestra? The people are very fun and interesting. There are post-grad and faculty members that play alongside of me. It is sometimes intimidating because I am one of youngest.

Advice to anyone picking up a new instrument? My advice would be to just have patience; don’t expect it to come just naturally.

What do you hope for in the future? I hope that I can continue to compose and keep playing and enjoying myself.

A Freshman at Michigan State University. Enjoys 90's movies, rock alternative music, and reading books of all kinds. Apart of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and studies Journalism. Can be found running around campus, eating heaps of food at the Caf, or cheering my Spartans on at Spartan Football Stadium!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian