How the ‘WandaVision’ Series Finale Will Set Up Phase 4 of the MCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you are anything like me, you have spent the last few days mourning the loss of the TV show that was keeping us going as we officially hit a year of the Pandemic: “WandaVision.” It was eight weeks of pure bliss, watching the new episode every Friday and then spending the rest of the week theorizing what the next episode will look like, guessing who the surprise cameo might be, and watching Tik Toks and Fancams all about Jimmy Woo. 

Now, with the end of “WandaVision,” us Marvel fans have to ask ourselves “what’s next?” The obvious answer is the Falcon and the Winter Soldier series that begins on March 19, but when that is not enough for the hardcore MCU fans that want more from Marvel’s elusive phase four, lets take a look at the WandaVision series finale to find out more. 

In episode nine of “WandaVision,” we see every character we’ve been introduced to in the series, so I am going to go one by one, discussing the future for each character in the MCU. These are almost all guesses from myself and others on the internet — so do not take them as fact!

The first character group that I want to talk about is the people of Westview, New Jersey. Unfortunately, I do not believe we will be seeing Norm, Herb and Dottie among others ever again in the MCU — unless as small cameos in a bigger project. They provided exciting comic relief at the beginning of the series and at the end, the fear in their eyes was incredibly telling of the true power and emotion Wanda used to create her pocket reality in Westview. In the end, the people of the town got to see their families again if they had them, but as we saw in episode eight, the lives of the town were nothing more than a sad suburban fantasy gone wrong.

The second character is acting director of S.W.O.R.D., Hayward. It is really up in the air whether or not we will see Hayward again because he is going to prison, but he could have a larger plan involving the Avengers and when a bad guy has a plan in Marvel films, it usually means he has a lot of followers. Some of his followers could be deep undercover as agents of S.W.O.R.D. and may eventually come out of hiding to carry out his plan. This would be a somewhat repetitive storyline from Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but it is not impossible. 

Next, Darcy Lewis, who weirdly didn’t stick around the final episode of WandaVision after she hit Hayward with the armored vehicle turned churro truck. She is, first and foremost, a character from the Thor story arch, so my guess is the next time we see her will be in some kind of Thor movie. 

We definitely have not seen the last of Jimmy Woo. Marvel is in ongoing talks to give the loveable FBI agent his own TV series, and we may even see him before that in the next Ant-Man movie or just hanging around S.W.O.R.D. because I predict that he will leave the Bureau for the newly formed, Marvel-specific agency. We also still do not know who Woo’s person in Witness Protection is, so his storyline is definitely not over.

Next, Monica Rambaue got her own end credit scene, where a skrull, most likely the skrull child she met back in Captain Marvel, tells her that someone in space wants to meet her. This is assumed to be Nick Fury, who we saw chilling without shoes at the end of “Spider-Man: Far From Home.” This line, and the fact that Monica now has powers and is embodying the comic book hero Photon, seems to be setting up future properties, one being Captain Marvel 2 and the other being Secret Invasion, a comic book run all about skrulls. 

One of the more important characters in WandaVision was hiding her identity until the end of episode 7: Agatha Harkness. While some may say that we have seen the end of Agatha, or Agnes, because Wanda left her without her magic in Westview, but Wanda may need a teacher of magic in the future and Wanda even left a hint in the last episode that she would be back to find Agatha if she ever needed her. Agatha may also be serving a greater being who may restore her memories and restore her power. 

Billy and Tommy were by far the cutest part of WandaVision, and while they may have disappeared when Wanda destroyed the Hex, we know that the MCU is setting up the Young Avengers with the introduction of Kate Bishop in the upcoming Hawkeye show, so we have not seen the last of the two superpowered kiddos. The next time we see them, though, they may be much older, somewhere between 16 and 20. Another possible theory would be Wanda breaking into the multiverse to find a world where her children are alive and then saving them, a possible theory formed from the final end credit scene of the show. 

Vision is the most complex case because the Vision that had all of his own memories and emotions is dead, and was never really alive in the first place in WandaVision, but White Vision now has all of the memories of Vision and is in the same body as the original Vision, minus the mind stone. He is now off in the world with memories but no emotions, and there is no way that he is going to be gone forever, especially since it is pretty clear that Paul Bettany still has a job with Marvel. 

Finally, Wanda herself. She is confirmed to be a part of the upcoming Dr. Strange sequel titled the “Multiverse of Madness,” and I do think that is the next place we will see her. The end credit scene; however, may tell us that she will be the one that creates the break in the multiverse that sets up chaos that Dr. Strange has to set right in the film, all because Wanda wants her children back. She is an all powerful being, already established to be more powerful than Dr. Strange, so if she is the villain in the upcoming movie, no one will be able to beat her, but instead are going to have to talk her off of whatever ledge she ends up on. 

Overall, this WandaVision finale gave us so much. I can’t wait for what happens next, and I already miss all of my new favorite characters. 

My name is Caitlin! I am a second year at MSU majoring in Social Relations and Policy and Public Relations. I wrote a lot in high school and was so happy to find HerCampus so I could continue to do what I love! I hope you enjoy.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.