How Not to Fall Victim to an Online Shopping Binge!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Online shopping is, to put it lightly, one of my favorite hobbies.  Whenever I want to procrastinate on homework or when I’m bored, I even do it while I’m watching TV and sometimes during a boring lecture.  I’d go as far as saying online shopping is a hobby for me, and I’m sure I’m not alone.  In an effort to save myself from declaring bankruptcy, I’ve developed a way to enjoy my hobby without going overboard, and lucky for you I’m sharing my secrets.

Secret #1: Set yourself a time limit

It can be scary to realize how much time in your day you spend building your dream wardrobe online.  Time can slip away as you scroll through pages and pages trying to find the perfect pair of riding boots.  Before you even begin to navigate towards victoriassecret.com set a timer on your phone for 1 hour (or less if your ballsy).  After that timer goes off, step away—just exit the page or make your final purchase.  Stopping yourself from spending too much time online shopping will also save you from spending money on things you don’t actually need.

Secret #2: Sleep on it

Sometimes when I’m at a real mall and trying to decide on a big purchase I leave the store to walk around and shop for other things, it gives me a chance to clear my head and decide if I really want the item.  Sleep has the same effect.  If you’re up late perusing yet another online store, bookmark the item and then go to bed.  In the morning you’ll have a clear head and you might realize how crazy you were for thinking a metallic, fish-patterned sweater dress would ever be cute. 

Secret #3: Shopping vs. Buying

My mom and I used to go to the mall all the time “just to shop” we would go in all our favorite stores and not buy a single thing.  It was great because we could make mental lists of things we liked and then wait for them to go on sale or find them cheaper somewhere else.  Its perfectly fine to online shop and make lists of things you absolutely need in your wardrobe come spring but not actually purchase anything right away.  An easy way to do this is create wish lists on all your favorite websites so when you finally do have some Birthday money to spend you can revisit those lists without wasting time yet again online shopping.  Bonus: if someone is asking you what to get you for a gift, you can just email them your list!

Secret #4: Utilize the shopping cart

When I’m online shopping, I always put things in the shopping cart.  This might sound counterproductive but there is a strategy.  First of all, don’t save your credit card information on the website or utilize anything that allows for “one-click shopping”.  Not only can that be a security risk, but it also makes it so much easier to buy things without even thinking about it.  Second, keep in mind how much money you actually have to spend on clothes and then put every piece of clothing you want in the cart and look at the total cost when you’re done.  It might make you want to cry, but it also allows you to see that you don’t have the funds to buy all the things you want.  However, the process of putting things in the cart and imagining them in different outfits will give you enough of a “shopping high” that you don’t feel like you’re missing out.  

Beating a shopping binge is more about tricking yourself into thinking you’ve bought things rather than actually buying them. The rush you get from actual shopping isn’t the same as online shopping because the gratification is delayed.  Use this to your advantage by tricking your brain into thinking you’ve actually bought something and there you go, you just escaped a binge.

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!