How to Manage Your Stress in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

We all have those head-in-hands, stress-filled moments where your life completely overwhelms you. College is a constant battle of learning how to manage school, work, your social life, money  and the ingrained worry of your future. It’s natural to stress out about all of the chaos in your life and have those moments of hopelessness, but learning how to manage it is essential in having an enjoyable college experience. Have you ever had that carefree, always chipper friend or roommate who never seems to have any stress in their life? If you’ve ever envied those girls and wished to be like that, then there are a few things you can do to take some of the weight off of your shoulders.

Learn to manage your time

Know your limit of work and things you can accomplish in one day and don’t take on too much. Having too many things to do in one day can result terribly and give you even more stress. Plan out your day and include all of the little details to take as much stress out of your day as possible. Knowing where you will eat in between classes and the fastest way to each destination can make your day go by much easier and give you some time to relax. The Spartan App will become your best friend when you start using it to find out where you want to eat and how to get there.

Stay organized

Having a calendar can be lifesaving when it’s easy to forget all of the events and dates in your busy life. Keep one by your desk or utilize the one on your phone so you can keep track of everything coming up in your life and to make sure you don’t miss anything! Carry a planner with you everywhere you go. It may seem tedious to write down everything  you need to do or places you need to go, but it’s easy to forget. Having a to-do list will allow your life to have some structure in it. Procrastination is the biggest killer of all so make sure you get all of your important things done first and don’t put them off until the last minute and end up a ball of stress and anxiety.

Take Some Time for Yourself

The worst thing you can do is not take some time for yourself to give your brain a break and collect your thoughts. Reward yourself for all your hard work and hit the Dairy Store with your friends, kick in your dorm for a movie and popcorn or go for a walk with your iPod. After you’re done with work or finished a paper,  take a break and do something to relax before you move on to the next thing on your to-do list. You’ll find that taking a break can clear your mind and make for a happier you.

Get Enough Sleep

This is probably the most important as we all know that college can put a serious damper on your sleep schedule. Getting enough hours of sleep at night is hard with late night cramming sessions along with early classes. Squeezing a nap in whenever you get the chance is great to give your brain a break and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on all your tasks.

Take Care of Your Body

Exercising can make you feel charged and ready to take on your life as well as keeping you healthy and fit. Go for a run around campus or hit the gym with a workout buddy as often as you can to keep your body in check. Eating healthy is also important in maintaining a stress free life. The last thing you need is self-guilt before a test because of the bag of chips and sleeve of Oreos you scarfed down while studying. Eating wholesome meals and drinking enough water will also help your brain and allow you to retain more information.

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis