How To Get Noticed at a Party – In a Good Way!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Holiday party season has officially arrived!  Whether you’re getting together with old friends, attending a work gathering, or getting glammed up for New Year’s Eve, a party is surely on your horizon.  For you single ladies, the holidays are a great time to meet someone new because lets be honest, no one wants to be alone this time of year.  Cozy fires and ice skating dates are just too enticing.  Follow these simple tips on how to get noticed at your next party and sparks will surely fly!

1. Start with your outfit.  Since it really is the very first thing people notice about you when you walk into a room, make it memorable.  I’m not saying you have to wear a slinky red dress to every holiday party you attend, but something more than basic black will definitely help guys spot you from across the room.  We all dream of that moment right?  Eyes lock and you just know he’s the one.  Well, to help find your “one”, try wearing something with a little sparkle—at a dimly lit party it will pop.   Whether it’s a sequin skirt or a shimmery sweater, glitter works! Just make sure you only wear one sparkly piece; a sequined skirt with a glittery top might have people mistaking you for the disco ball. 

2. Participate! There is nothing worse than the girl who sits in the corner saying “No thanks” to every activity she is offered.  Walk around and see what’s going on.  If people are playing a game, play the game, if people are dancing, dance.  You’ll avoid looking like a wallflower and you’ll have a lot more fun.  And speaking of having fun, even if you’re not ecstatic about the game of charades you got dragged into, look like you are.  If you appear to be having fun, people will want to be around you, because all they really want is to have fun, too.

3. Mix up your hairstyle.  While I fully support staying true to one’s self, sometimes you just need to change it up a little.  If you normally wear your hair straight, why not curl it when you go out? And if your hair is naturally curly, try blowing it out for a sleek look.  You’ll still be you, just you 2.0.  If you’re feeling extra ambitious, an actual up-do would be so fun and festive.  This tutorial is very easy to follow and the results are oh so pretty! If you are looking for something different The Beauty Department has this style that promises to wow fellow partygoers.  People will notice the extra effort you took to look nice and respect it. 

4. Do some background work.  Anxiety can be a major hitch when it comes to enjoying yourself at a party.  Maybe you’re worried that you won’t know anyone, or that you won’t have anything to say when someone does approach you.  This is where a little research comes in handy.  Scan your Google news page for an interesting story before heading to a party so you can sound timely and educated when the cute guy with the glasses comes over your way.  Or, if that isn’t your cup of tea, come with a funny story in your back pocket.  It doesn’t have to be anything epic, just pick something that happened to you recently and you’ll be at ease knowing that you already have a great conversation starter ready to go. 

5. If all else fails, smile.  It’s true what they say, people who smile more often are MUCH more approachable.  How many times have you said hello to the girl with a frown on her face?  I’m guessing not very many.  So, put a smile on, and people will be introducing themselves in no time. A smile can also act as your suit of armor.  Smiles evoke confidence and self-assuredness.  People respond to that confidence in a very positive way.  Don’t forget to smile—you’re never fully dressed without one!

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!