This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Well, it’s finally here! The holiday season is upon us starting with Halloween this weekend — but that doesn’t mean COVID-19 has magically disappeared. If you do decide to go out and celebrate, keep yourself and others safe this Saturday by following some of these tips.

Follow local and state guidelines

This should be somewhat of a no-brainer, but follow the law! This includes limiting the number of people in a group, following mask rules in certain areas and more. Take the time to familiarize yourself with your state and local laws regarding COVID before planning a gathering or choosing to go somewhere else!

Find a costume with a mask

Now is the time to get creative! Masks have always been a staple piece of Halloween, so now it’s even more perfect. Find a way to incorporate a mask into your costume so you can look cute and protect yourself and others at the same time. Check out this article from Cosmopolitan for some fun ideas!

Only go with friends or family you trust to be responsible

When deciding who to invite to your own party or who to go with to another place, choose people who you trust have been responsible during the pandemic. See what kinds of things people have been doing and who they have been in contact with before inviting them. I know it sucks to have to “background check” your friends, but it really is essential to keeping everyone safe.

If you can have a party outside, do it!

Obviously with Michigan weather, throwing or attending an outside party can be pretty unpredictable. If you can make it happen though, do it! The CDC has said that gathering inside can increase the risk of spreading COVID since it is harder to socially distance and is not as well-ventilated, whereas being outside can decrease that risk. However, it doesn’t mean that group number rules and mask mandates are out of the picture — still follow the law!

Socially distance (keep the headcount low)

This goes along with following local and state guidelines, but socially distance if you are going somewhere or having people over! In other words, keep the number of people together at once low so that you can successfully distance yourself from others. We all know the CDC’s recommendation to stay 6 feet apart from others at all times, so especially keep it in mind in larger group settings this weekend.

Skip the partying and have a chill movie night in with friends

If you’re not the partying type or just don’t feel like going out, don’t feel like you have to! Some of the best memories aren’t the ones where you go have an action-packed night out, they’re the ones where you spend quality time with people you care about. Put on some sweats and fuzzy socks and settle in for a movie night this Saturday instead! Bonus: you don’t have to worry about finding a costume or dealing with the cold weather! For some inspiration on what to watch, here is a list of 37 Halloween movies to fill up your night of celebration!

Whether you’re going out with friends or staying in and avoiding the cold, it is important to celebrate this Halloween safely so we can all continue to enjoy the 2020 holiday season. Have a spooky Saturday!

Lauren is a second-year student at Michigan State and is excited to join the Her Campus staff this year! She from Holt, MI and was in journalism in high school, which is where she found a passion for it that she hopes to pursue through HCMSU. She enjoys exercising, spending time with friends and family, attending concerts, sushi, and fostering animals!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.