This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Our planet is hurting. With emissions rising at an alarming rate and regulations being tossed aside, saving the environment might feel like a hopeless endeavor. Yet, it never hurts to try and do as much as we can to decrease our negative impact. An easy way to become more sustainable is by examining your current lifestyle and deciding where changes can be made. It helps to think of different facets of your life and the things that you use everyday. Let’s start in the kitchen!

Buy in Bulk

Buying your food in bulk can help reduce waste from packaging. Another benefit is having to go to the store less frequently, which decreases how much you drive your car. Plus, you can save money this way! 

Use a Dishwashing Block

A dish washing block is a great alternative to regular dish soap! Normally, dish soap comes in a plastic bottle, which can take hundreds of years to decompose. This is an easy switch that is sustainable and less harmful.

Switch to Rags

Paper towels are not only wasteful, but the cost of them can become inconvenient.  By simply using dish towels or rags instead, you can reduce waste and increase the money in your bank account! 

Try Composting

Food waste in the landfill releases methane. Methane is a gas that is 28 times stronger than carbon dioxide. By composting, you can eliminate some of the food that ends up in the landfill, which can decrease the amount of methane being produced. Composting results in many benefits, one of those being improved soil quality.

Try a Reusable Baking Mat

Using parchment paper everytime you bake something can become wasteful because it’s usually not something that gets reused. Reusable baking mats are incredibly practical and convenient. This can be another way to save money. Plus, that’s one less thing you’re sending to the landfill!

There are many more ways to reduce our carbon footprint in the kitchen, but these are simple and easy ways to get started.

Rayna is a junior in the School of Journalism. Her focus is in environment, science and health reporting, as well as health promotions. Rayna likes hiking, coffee, books, art, and plants.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.