Hemali Patel: Sigma Sigma Rho President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With a hectic job, school, and clubs, many people find it difficult to even keep up a social life. Even when she’s not busy running around doing things for her sorority, Hemali Patel always strives to communicate with her sisters in their time of need. A sophomore studying human biology, Hemali Patel is a distinguished young lady who aspires to be a physician’s assistant in the future. Keeping up with classes, clubs and her sorority life can be one heck of a challenge.

Name: Hemali Patel

Major: Human Biology 

President of Sigma Sigma Rho 

Why did you decide to join Sigma Sigma Rho?

I joined Sigma Sigma Rho in the Fall 2011. This was my freshmen year of college, and I had heard a little bit about it before. I decided to join because I wanted to expand my networking and communication skills and meet new people around the nation. I like the fact that it’s a South-Asian based interested sorority. It helps me connect with many people on campus and also many other sisters in the same sorority around the country.

What is your current and future involvement in the sorority?

President of the sorority.

Why do you love Sigma Sigma Rho?

Because it allows me to continue my interested towards the South-Asian based culture along with my fellow sisters as well as spread awareness about Domestic Violence because that is my sorority’s philanthropy. 

How has being a sister changed your life?

Being a sister has changed my life because I have got to learn new things as well as teach other sisters new things. I have met a lot of new people throughout Greek life and I get to travel a lot more now.

What are your educational and career plans after college?

I would like to go to graduate school. I am not sure where I would like to go for school but I know that I would like to become a physician’s assistant.

Do you have any other plans for the future?

Other than getting married, I want to move down south because I absolutely hate the weather in the north, and I also think everything is nicer down south, as well as the people. 

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso