This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With Jack Frost’s impending doom, we are being driven to spend more and more time in the warmth of our homes and less time outside. A great way to spend time with friends is cooking! Fall inspires countless, yummy recipes guaranteed to warm up the house and fill your stomach. Try any of these easy fall recipes and share with friends during a movie night while avoiding the bitter air just past the door.

Bacon Apple Pancakes

Ingredients:

5 thick slices of bacon chopped to the thickness you desire

1 apple (I used fuji but any apple will work) peeled, cored and cut in thin pieces for easier cooking

1 ½ cup of all-purpose flour

3 T sugar

2 tsp. baking poswer

1 ½ tsp. salt

1 (5.3 ounce) container of plain Greek yogurt (I used vanilla and loved that as well)

¾ cup whole milk

2 large eggs

Directions:

Add chopped bacon into a skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy. Then drain out a good amount of the fat and add the chopped apples. Cook until apples are soft but not falling apart. Set this aside to cool and start on the pancake mix. 

In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. 

In a separate bowl mix the yogurt, milk and eggs. Then add the wet ingredients until the dry ingredients. Gradually stir in the bacon/apple mixture until well mixed. 

Melt 1 T. of butter in a large skillet and pour desired amount of mix per pancake into skillet. 

Serve with warm maple syrup and you’re guaranteed to eat every last bite.

Skinny Frozen Hot Chocolate

Ingredients:

1 ½ cup fat free milk

1 cup ice

4 T. Ovaltine Rich Chocolate Poswer

1 T. unsweetened cocoa powder

2 T. fat free whipped topping (optional)

1 drop of peppermint extract (optional but highly recommended!)

Directions:

Pour milk and ice into a blender. Then add the ovaltine, cocoa and whipped topping (this can also be added ontop of the drink after).

Blend until the ice is completely chopped and the mixture is icy and thick

This recipe is enough for two glasses.

Top with whipped topping and serve immediately. 

For an extra touch add a candy cane!

(Thank you to www.skinnytaste.com for coming up with this healthy & yummy recipe)

Fall Party Popcorn

Ingredients:

1 (3.2 ounce) bag of unpopped popcorn

16 oz. White Almond Bark (1 bag of white chocolate chips work as well)

1 ½ cup fall colored M&M’s

¼ cup fall colored sprinkles

Directions:

Pop the bag of popcorn according to the package directions. 

While popping, melt the white almond bark in 30-second intervals in the microwave. Stir well between each time. Repeat until a smooth, melted texture. 

Pour evenly over popcorn doing layers at a time. For example, pour ¼ of the popcorn into a large bowl then pour ¼ of the white chocolate over the popcorn. Repeat until all popcorn and chocolate is gone. 

Gently stir in M&M’s and sprinkles until evenly distributed. Let chocolate cool and harden before serving.

Set this tasty treat in the middle of a decorated table as a fall treat centerpiece.

(Thanks to www.chef-in-training.com for this fall recipe)

Creamy Caramel Apple Dip

Ingredients:

1 (8-oz.) package of cream cheese

½ cup brown sugar

¼ cup powdered sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2/3 cup Hershey’s SKOR candy bites

Caramel topping sauce

Apples sliced to serve with the dip

Directions:

With a handheld mixer or spatula, combine all ingredients until blended. For an extra touch, squeeze some caramel topping across the top of the dip. 

This recipe goes great as a desert served with fresh apple slices. Your guests are guaranteed to want to lick the bowl once this creamy caramel dip is gone!

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso