Style > Fashion

Five Halloween Costumes that are basic but not ~too~ Basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The smell of chai tea lattes with pumpkin cold foam is in the air. The matching sweatsuits are coming out. You have 32 items in your cart for costume ideas. Halloween is approaching, and it’s the last day you can purchase your items for them to arrive on time. You decide you actually hate all the options, and you need help! Well, fear no more. Here are five Halloween costumes you need to wear this year.

1. FedEx Driver

I know what you’re thinking… How could you possibly make this look hot? Imagine this: Black spandex shorts, a black tight crop top, and a black baseball cap. Purchase two FedEx iron-on patches. Iron one on the shirt and one on the hat. Easy, affordable, and not too common. You’ll be delivering nothing but serves.

1. Maneater

This one is very easy and versatile. Since it isn’t super specific, like a specific character, you can really just use what you already have. Take a black or red lingerie set or slip dress and put some fake blood around your mouth and chest. Easy, cheap and you can make it whatever you want it to be.

1. Firefighter

Alright, this one is pretty basic and common, but it’s still fire (no pun intended). This is another one where you could easily just use black spandex shorts you already own and a black crop top. Buy a firefighter hat off Amazon and a fire chief iron-on patch, and you’re done. Maybe throw on some fishnets underneath the shorts for a little extra spice.

1. Mia Thermopolis from “The Princess Diaries”

This one is a throwback to everyone’s favorite childhood movie, “The Princess Diaries.” Wear a white strapless dress, a tiara, a pair of headphones, and black sunglasses and you’re golden! Everyone will love the familiar throwback and you’ll feel just like an actual princess.

1. Vivian Ward from “Pretty Woman”

“Pretty Woman” is a classic and my favorite movie of all time. There are many iconic looks from this film that you could recreate. My favorite one is the blue and white dress she wears toward the beginning of the movie. Throw on a red blazer or jacket over it with some tall black boots. Tie your house or apartment key around a necklace. Original, hot and iconic.

Now go and delete all of those 32 different items in your cart and use these ideas instead!

Anna is a sophomore at Michigan State, studying journalism with a minor in public relations. Take Jess from New Girl, Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, and Monica from Friends, and you have summed up Anna's personality in one. She is a big fan of watching sunrises and sunsets, and you can always find her catching up with friends and family.