Eating Healthy on a Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Meal plans are notoriously blamed for padding college kids with the Freshman 15. What most of us don’t realize though, is cafeterias offer an amazing opportunity to eat healthy—without the hassle of cooking and cleaning. Many girls fall into the trap of trying to eat only salads or go on fad diets that don’t last longer than 2 days; these are not the ways to a healthy body and life.  In order to eat healthy you have to ditch the college food misconception and accept the fact that you can eat healthy at midnight while your still studying (or watching Netflix…)

Veggies are your friend

Aim to make the majority of your meals vegetables. Veggies have no cholesterol and are generally low in fat and calories, the fiber fills you up and keeps you full so you can power through a night of studying. A good snack in between classes would be some pre-cut veggies from the salad bar dipped in hummus or your favorite dressing. This doesn’t mean you have to survive on the salad bar alone though. If you scope out the hot food line you’re sure to find steamed veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower, usually these will come with a seasoning or sauce but if they don’t, add a little bit of margarine and say yum! Of course, a girl can’t survive on steamed veggies forever; other great ways to eat a veggie-full meal would be a stir-fry, veggie packed soup, or even a sandwich. Trying out some of the vegetarian options your cafeteria provides is also a great way to increase your veggie intake and discover some foods you might really enjoy that you didn’t know about before.

Breakfast of champions

This has been said in countless nutrition articles, but it’s vital…never skip breakfast! Eating before your first class will help you concentrate as well as keep you from over eating at lunch. While the dessert table during weekend brunch is tempting, it’s important to remember that the first meal sets the tone for the rest of your day meaning that if you make healthy choices first thing in the morning, you’re likely to continue making them throughout the rest of the day. 
 Stealing bananas, apples, or any other portable fruit from the caf at dinner ensures that you have a nutritious and easy breakfast for when you roll out of bed for that 8 am class. If you have time to make it to the caf before your first class, whole grain toast with peanut butter or an omelet filled with vegetables is also great. Granola bars are fine to eat as an on-the-go breakfast, but make sure you’re choosing ones made with whole grains, protein, and not a lot of sugar. Concentrate on the free fruit from the caf though!

Just Desserts

The abundance of desserts offered in cafeterias can slip up even the most health conscious girl. The key here is to save dessert for the days you really want it, don’t settle for the cookies that sit out all day—wait for them to serve your favorite strawberry cheesecake! It can be tough to say no to dessert when your friends are all hitting up the soft serve, so when temptation kicks in grab some fruit or hot tea. Obviously fruit and tea are in no way a sweet and decadent dessert, but resist when you can. If you know you can’t go a day without chocolate, then keep your favorite chocolates (Dove, anyone?) in your room and have a piece or two at the end of the day. It’s not about depriving yourself of the food that makes you happy; it’s about saving dessert as a treat for yourself. Also, if you think of dessert in this way, you will end up enjoying it so much more.

Junk Food Crazed

Vending machine fare, late night pizza, Taco Bell on your way home from a night out; these all fall under the category of “junk”. Junk food is a staple for college students because its inexpensive, easily accessible, and delicious. There are other foods however that are just as cheap, easy, and tasty that provide more nutrients for less calories and fat. It can be as easy as ordering a whole-wheat sandwich from jimmy johns or making yourself an English muffin pizza while you’re studying. A lot of students assume that since they live in a dorm they are limited to eating food from the caf or fast food restaurants but that’s not always the case. Keeping crackers and cheese, microwavable soups, hummus and pita chips, your favorite nuts and so forth in your dorm ensure that you always have a healthy snack on hand and in the long run, you’ll end up saving money because these foods fill you up more than those empty calories from the McDonald’s drive-thru ever could. 

Fill that plate

A common misconception is that eating healthy translates into eating less—so not true! By choosing whole foods and avoiding the fried/fatty ones you can actually eat more for the same, or even less, calories. A salad alone will not keep you full and in turn, you’ll binge on unhealthy foods to satisfy your hunger and cravings. Don’t be afraid to fill your plate(s) high with veggies, whole grains, fruits, and lean protein. Make sure to keep your foods varied though; don’t resort to filling up on one food alone. Cafeterias are great for keeping your meals diverse and healthy, you just have to make the right choices. It’s easy to reach for the greasy slice of pizza but it’s just as easy to choose healthy options that will fill you up. 

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!